10mm WSS

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Re: 10mm WSS

Post by Sheepman » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks Ray,
As to uniform and flag sources, I have access to all of August Kuhn's plates, unfortunately getting them is like finding rocky horse poo.
Also I obtained (Heft 16) Hessen-Kassel 1701 - 1714 by Claus-Peter Goldberg & Jean Belaubre copyright 1995.
My son speaks fluent German, I'm a Northumbrian so hardly speak English. :wink:
I also have all of the other ones covering the German states of this period.
As another poster on this forum says, secondary sources, but frankly who has the time to dig out the originals.
The flags are for the most part as accurate as I can get then for 1704 (they changed later in the war) but even given the above sources some are my estimates!
I have seen Hessen-Kassel troops beautifully painted on here before with flags seemingly based on the later Seven Years War flag of the state, they may or may not be accurate, you pays your money and takes your chance. :roll:
Thanks for checking out the blog, keep looking in, I won't just be concentrating on WSS.
All the best,
Dave.
'I always wear me wellies'.
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Another two battalions added, this time French 1st and 2nd Battalion Languedoc from the reserve behind Blenhiem village.
There is a small guide to how they were painted on my blog http://thenorthumbrianwargamer.blogspot.com/
I'm not at all trying to tell anyone how to suck eggs but someone asked me to put one up and I feel that you can always pick up all sorts of tips here and there.
So here's the pic:
Cheers,
Dave.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:58 pm

Very nicely done sir. One quick note that others may also point out. The second (and any regiments with more) battalions would not carry a Colonel's color. They would have only the regimental, so 2 regimental flags in the manner you are organizing your units. Only 1 Colonel's per regiment - but after saying that I believe there is one regiment that had 2 Colonel's colors according to Hall.
Greg
goat major

Post by goat major » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Exceedingly nice ! Are you doing the whole orbat for Blenheim ?
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:09 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:27 pm

Thank you gentlemen, Simon I would dearly love to do the whole orbat for Blenheim but even at 10mm I may go off my head with sixty figures per Battalion :cry: At the moment I'm concentrating on Cutt's attack and the limited cavalry actions of the first period of the battle.
Ray, thanks for the info, I'm pretty sure that I have the info correct for the British I have done so far, check the previously posted pictures, truthfully you can get away with a bit in 10mm unless the Bionic man picks them up and has a realy close look :lol:
18th Century Guy, thanks for the information, very interesting, would you advise that I should repaint the second of these multi Battalion Rgt's 'Colonels' flag (they are Old Glory and are cast on) with a regimental flag :?: . I hope I'm picking this up correctly as I want to get it right.
Cheers,
Dave.
goat major

Post by goat major » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:08 pm

thats reassuring Dave - i was just checking that you hadn't totally lost it :)
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:39 am

Yes, I would paint the flags of the second battalions to have two regimental colors.
Greg
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:09 am

The 2nd and third battalions flags have now been repainted, thanks for your help guys.
Dave.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:41 pm

Beautiful painting and great work with the tricorn conversion, I think that would have driven me round the bend!!

Ray
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:20 pm

Believe me mate after converting sixty 10mm figures I was well twitchy. Please some manufacturer reading this bring out French 10mm dismounted Dragoons and save some other poor sod having to go through the purgatory of having to do this!
I'm not bitter :x
Dave.