Scots Greys 1:10 scale

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scots Greys 1:10 scale

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:52 pm

don't usually post in this forum but I thought you might like to see these.. the Scots Greys in 1:10 ratio 28mm Perry figures with about 14 conversions, wrecked battery, Sgt Ewart and all the gubbins..
http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/gallery ... subcat=331
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Fri May 06, 2011 10:14 pm

Some one has a big Table :oops:
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Fri May 06, 2011 10:57 pm

Like his SNP leader today, Barry has big ambitions to :wink:

We look forward to 1:10 scale Waterloo at Partizan one day, well one of me mates does as he's now doing what Dave Imrie (and are you?) was doing doing French units @ 1:20 scale but then being able to double up etc for 1:10 or 1:5 scales........your all mad, but I bet it'll look impressive 8)

Stuart
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Fri May 06, 2011 11:02 pm

Yes, he is mad, probebly rabies. better to just put him out of his missery and shoot him, I can inherit his figures, if you just give me his adress I'll go fine my shotgun
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:09 pm

As long as my sphincter points to the south I will NEVER vote for wee Alex and the Scottish Nose Pickers

Henry Ford
Keith

Post by Keith » Fri May 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Good grief - that's a chunky unit.

Inspirational stuff.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat May 07, 2011 6:20 am

Barry,

First of all, the Greys are gorgeous and the attention to detail is phenomenal with each base telling a wee story.

Now that's the scale to be aiming for. I am just today putting the finishing touches to my fourth 36-figure battalion of bicorned French for next Sunday's game: first and second battalions of the 33rd and 17th line that can be amalgamated seamlessly into two 72-figure regiments complete with battalion guns (Thanks Barry, you gave me two battalion guns in my command at the last weekender and the bloody seed was firmly planted) so, I hope to post some pictures later today or tomorrow.

This is an earlier shot of the 33rd in 1:10 with skirmishers deployed and, if you look hard enough, a wee stand of sapeurs for redecorating those beautifully crafted built up areas. Whilst not up to Barry's or Peter the Painter's standards, I am perfectly happy to field these antwhere. The unit gives a good sense of mass:

There's something about a unit in 1:10 scale that gives me a nice warm tingling feeling all over. I wonder what the outcome would be with your 1:10 Greys against my 1:10 17th Line using RtE as it stands and just doubling all distances for moving and firing?

Regards,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
kippax
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by kippax » Sat May 07, 2011 7:40 am

First off all Barry enjoyed looking through those pictures lovely painted figures hats off to you sir.
Secondly seeing coffindogers picture what a gorgeous painted regiment thank you for sharing. i also like theidea of chunky units.
A few units of these and you know you have to get with the programme and start switching on .
thank you guys
"Stupid Boy"
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Sat May 07, 2011 9:01 am

Call that a unit Barry? :roll: :lol:

Actually, they are of course quite beautifull. 8) 8) 8)

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sat May 07, 2011 1:47 pm

That ratio is very similar to what the folks that play BAR (Batailles de l´Ancien Régime 1740-1763) use. They have 60 plus figures per unit but they mount their figures on a 1" x 1" base as they can use a figure removal system for casualties. Although I like the size of their units it is the 1"x 1" basing that I don't care for as much.
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Sat May 07, 2011 4:52 pm

Seriously Barry where do you store all your figures, I'm having to limit my 28mm as space is starting to run out. Course it doesn't help as the kids keep coming back from university with all their junk!
A breath taking unit, absolutely fantastic.
Dave.
'I always wear me wellies'.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:20 am

The 1:10 thing has always interested me. Originally The March of Eagles was written with these larger unit games in mind;brigade level, personality/character figures which affected the game play: colour party, officers, sergeants, musicians, pioneers, heroes etc.

I also have versions of that rule set for other periods.

I will at some point, maybe this year, put on a game at a show either at 1:10 or 1:5 scale with 100 model plus infantry units. All of my Naps collection has been built in a modular way which can bulk up or slim down.

Alas, half of the Greys have now gone to their new home... Dave Thomas's cabinet :cry: They were never intended to go to the 1:10 ratio for my own collection. Dave had seen my own unit and liked it so much he asked me to do one for him. I did, with some twists... he got Ewart, the upturned guns etc.

I took many pictures before it disappeared from my clutches....
I have found the pictures inspiring so maybe I'll do the same with some cavalry as I have done with the foot..

you should see the Nassau battalion at 1:5... it has 200 models in it!

Henry Ford
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Mon May 09, 2011 11:39 am

barr7430 wrote:Alas, half of the Greys have now gone to their new home... Dave Thomas's cabinet :cry: They were never intended to go to the 1:10 ratio for my own collection. Dave had seen my own unit and liked it so much he asked me to do one for him. I did, with some twists... he got Ewart, the upturned guns etc.
I had a good gander at these at Carronade.... that is to say, saw them, held them, thought about running away with them but the gentleman in me (yeah, there's one in there somewhere :D ) thought better of it :lol: .

Seriously though , very dynamic stuff, full of drama and wonderfull standard of brushwork.

Darrell.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:20 pm

Thank you Darrell, much appreciated. I have, due to other hobby priorities forsaken my better quality brushwork but when I turn my mind to it I can still turn out some not bad stuff. Ii have never really strove to be seen as a 'painting name' but do enjoy it when the subject inspires me..

Maybe I'll do some more :wink:

Henry Ford
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Mon May 09, 2011 3:15 pm

barr7430 wrote:Thank you Darrell, much appreciated. I have, due to other hobby priorities forsaken my better quality brushwork but when I turn my mind to it I can still turn out some not bad stuff. Ii have never really strove to be seen as a 'painting name' but do enjoy it when the subject inspires me..
You've turned out some pretty amazing stuff in your time- it was you and David who inspired me to start to put together 'vignette' syle basing etc. I'm not at all keen on doing it any other way now.
Maybe I'll do some more :wink:
And so you should :) .

Darrell.