Small beginnings

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
jezamonos
Captain
Captain

Small beginnings

Post by jezamonos » Mon May 23, 2011 12:01 pm

So, after being talked into starting a new project by an old friend (comprised of being shown lots of lovely painted minis), we are embarking on doing some WSS armies and using BLB2x. They already have a pile of unpainted French so I will be doing the allies. I have been doing lots of reading and have firmly got the bug !

It has been a very long time since I painted anything more colourful than a British para beret so was quite looking forward to seeing how this went. It is also my first real encounter with anything larger than 20mm.

Anyway, enough rambling. I have started with a Dutch officer that is meant to be from the Goor regiment (I could be wrong) so let me know what you think. Comments/criticisims more than welcome. Oh, the shoes will get painted once he has been based.

Owner - Default Models
http://defaultmodels.blogspot.com/
Churchill
General
General

Re: Small beginnings

Post by Churchill » Mon May 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Mon May 23, 2011 6:15 pm

I agree with Churchill - that red is particularly lively! Since reds seem to be my bane at the moment, that's high praise/envy.

The face is particularly well done, and you are clearly in the "paint eyes" camp.

My only quibble is that it looks like the figure has a shirt cuff poking out under the coat cuff, but you've painted it as his arm.

Excellent paint job there. I can't wait to see the rest of the unit!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
dab
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by dab » Mon May 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi jezamonos
officers wore a broad orange sash over the right shoulder hanging in a knot on or below the left hip. Their coats, cuffs, pockets and hats were laced with gold or silver. Gorgets were worn about the throat as an indication of rank.

This is a pain since i have not found a figure like this, the sash is always around the waist.
the cuff lace problem as well

REGIMENT Coat Lining Cuff Waistcoat Breeches Stocking Remarks

No 13, ----white---red---red-----?----------?----------? -----------Yellow
ZOBEL,------------------------------------------------------------------buttons.
GOOR,

The Foot. The Dutch foot included Scots, Swiss and Walloon regiments. These were usually dressed in red in the case of the first two and green in the latter case. The remainder of the Dutch infantry, except the guard, generally wore grey by 1700. The coat was single breasted, tailored at the waist with a full skirt down the knee. The cuffs were large and full and the jacket had no collar. Beneath the coat was a long waistcoat, white shirt, full breeches and stockings. Buckled shoes were worn. The tricorn shaped felt hat tended to be low crowned. Grenadier hats had a high metal front with a crown, of facing colour, with a pompom. At the back of the hat the bottom turned up and out. Drummers frequently wore reversed coat and lining colours. The foot equipment consisted of brown leather waistbelt for sword and bayonet and, a broad shoulder belt of similar colour with a black cartridge belt.

Hope this help
David
what of the long list to paint next ?
David
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon May 23, 2011 9:47 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jezamonos
Captain
Captain

Post by jezamonos » Mon May 23, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for the info David and Ray. They are gloves but look similar to the skintone in the picture but in reality they are quite different. I did consider giving him an orange sash but decided against it. Maybe on some of the other regiments...

I have a copy of Iain's book and it was an interesting read for an introduction to the period. I am also reading "Great & Glorious days, Marlborough's battles 1704-09" by James Falkner and "The art of warfare in the age of Marlborough" by David Chandler. Both are proving to be interesting reads.
Owner - Default Models
http://defaultmodels.blogspot.com/