42nd and 79th

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

42nd and 79th

Post by BP » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:24 pm

Just finished building this lot. Thanks to Toggy and Andy.

I'd like to say I'll be painting it, but my attempts at tartan look like a blue and green gingham :shock: So they will be getting sent off to be painted.

Pictures arent the best, but yes, that is a unit of highlanders 54 strong.
Black Watch at Salamanca had 1079 all ranks. The Camerons were a bit easier, at 680 all ranks, so I've bumped them to 36 for R2E. Neither regiment was engaged at Salamanca, but they joined the 6th Division afterwards to replace the 2nd and 2/53rd who were amalgamated into a battalion of replacements due to both being under 200 strong after Salamanca.

When they return I'll post up the finished article.

Bill.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: 42nd and 79th

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:59 pm

Looks very impressive - even just in the 'raw'.

May I ask how long it took you to put all of them together? (Approximately)
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:20 pm

I think I was doing about 8 an hour, as there are 102, so ~ 12-13 hours.

I usually only paint about 8 at a time, so never really considered the time involved in building entire units before. It was difficult to get motivated at times, and given the size of the Black Watch unit it took 4 boxes all told to get the majority of the unit in a marching pose. When I can face it I'll build the Gordons eventually, just so I can have the 3 main kilted regiments.

Bill
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:54 pm

I look forward to seeing the end product Bill and perhaps an outing at Whitburn.
Cheers
Dave
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:59 am

BP wrote:I think I was doing about 8 an hour, as there are 102, so ~ 12-13 hours.

I usually only paint about 8 at a time, so never really considered the time involved in building entire units before. It was difficult to get motivated at times, and given the size of the Black Watch unit it took 4 boxes all told to get the majority of the unit in a marching pose. When I can face it I'll build the Gordons eventually, just so I can have the 3 main kilted regiments.

Bill

Thanks for that Bill. There's a bit of an in-house debate going on at my place of work (Eureka Miniatures) as to what is a 'typical' time frame for gluing plastic figures together. I was just interested to know. Eight an hour sounds pretty good to me, although I'm guessing the real time is consumed in the planning of each figure pose from the parts / boxes available, before you actually start gluing?
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:41 pm

No problem.

I have become an expert in British arm sprue combinations :)
I know all the main combos without resorting to the box, think this was my 7th Victrix British box and all the arms are the same, only difference is flank companies get wings instead of tufts. This no doubt helped spead things up. To be honest it doesn't take long, but you do need multiple boxes to get similar units from their early releases, this is something they have sorted with the later boxes. The Austrians they have just previewed should go together a lot quicker, a few minutes tops from the descriptions.

Bill
24 Portuguese to go.....
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:46 pm

I can do 12 in 20 minutes, so if I really put my mind to it I could do 102 in about 3 hours.

But to be frank I get bored after 20 minutes, so I only put togather 12 at a time, but since my units are only 24 strong, it's only two sitdowns to do one unit.
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:46 pm

Finally got around to basing these up. Got them back around beginning September, but just finished basing the watch up yesterday and took advantage of a break in the sleet and rain.

42nd
Its a bit tricky to get all 54 in shot and I need to repaint the drummers cuffs blue but....

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:53 pm

These look great Bill, I'm sorry I'm going to miss all the action and seeing all your newly painted troops run away, oops!!!! I mean, on the table :lol:
Cheers
Dave
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Pity you cant make it Dave, although I'm sure you'll have sent Barry your special events :)

I was almost tempted to go for the French side due to the preponderance of untried Allied units :)

Here are the Camerons

I feel the yellow is a little bit bright for these guys, but nothing I cant live with.

All comments welcome, even ones about my troops running away ;)

Bill
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:50 pm

Bill,

Those look amazing. I just can't get over the speed at which you produce such great looking troops. As for the bright yellow, I find that when the wee men are on the table and viewed from two to three feet away, you will actually be glad that it is bright otherwise you would hardly see it.

Great stuff and I'm so sorry I won't be there to help them run away.

Jim
Last edited by CoffinDodger on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:14 pm

Bill

They look really good.......

.........I'm just trying to figure out how we could get them into being 'stationed' in Central Europe 1813 ..... for the Derby March Weekender Scenario.............!!

'Answers on a postcard..................'

Adrian
Ed Youngstrom
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ed Youngstrom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Bill,

Those are superb! Wish I could cross the pond for one of your weekenders...

Ed
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks chaps, I wish I could take the credit, but these were painted by Neil Wilson from
http://wilsonsminiatures.co.uk/index.html

I tried painting the tartan, but it just wasnt working. So I looked around for some reviews/galleries etc and for the cost/quality I reckoned these were the best, and then Gunter shows some pics of saxons he'd had done by Neil, which clinched.

His premium standard. I based them and built them before sending off, but thats all. Its a pretty good standard of painting for the price, I'll be sending my Picts off to be done by him next year hopefully as I'll be concentrating on more Brits and hopefully some Austrians. I have a 1st KGL Hussar done as a test figure, which I'll be posting soon for some feedback once I matt varnish it.

Bill
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:51 am

Looking good Bill.

It's amazing the difference basing them makes.

Andy