Napoleonic 'Derby Weekender' Gaming Table/Terrain- it's big!

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Napoleonic 'Derby Weekender' Gaming Table/Terrain- it's big!

Post by Blucher » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Barry, Bob (Toggy) and I have finally settled on the 'Day 1' gaming table layout for the upcoming Derby Weekender we are running in March (just a couple of places left for this event! - see details in the LOA Weekender Section in the Forum).

Our 'gaming guests' will be fighting over 66 TSS 2ftx2ft Tiles (264 sq ft total - just for the Saturday!) with a 'rolling...changed layout' of equal size on Day 2/Sunday!!

All of the tiles have been converted to greater or lesser degrees. As regulars to the site are aware, I alter/convert/chop/cut/glue/repaint all of the tiles I get from TSS (examples in the 'Gallery section/LOA on Tour') and have recently (in my opinion) surpassed even my own ambitious atempts with what we will have, for you that are attending this Weekender.

Once my 'photographer' returns from his winter break, I'll post some photo's of one of the new tiles I've done specifically for this 1813 game. Dave Bodley (from Grand Manner) kindly supplied me with a couple of his fantastic 'Napoleonic Windmills' and they've painted up a treat. I've added these to a TMC Building which I've converted, added 'extra height' and I was then able to add a lean-to with barrels/corn sacks inside. I have then repainted the whole building to match the colour scheme of the windmills. This has made a nice 'millers workplace and residence' that I wanted as a feature on a section of the battlefield. With my hands currently 'chapped' and being covered constantly by filler/upva/emultion during the latest batch of tile conversions, I'm looking forward to seeing some great gaming on this terrain!

Whilst doing the extra tiles for our March Weekender, I've had a few 'artistic ideas' for some special tiles for the October WSS/1700's Weekender. As this particular weekender will feature a large amount of Barry's new 'Warfare Miniatures' range for our guest gamers to play with, I feel it will be only right to produce some feature tiles to go with his figures!!

I've still got a few things to finish off on the terrain front so Barry and Bob are concentrating on the command orbats/figure sorting, to allow me to finish off my 'little part of 1813 Europe'!!!! Cheers guys....

Adrian
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Napoleonic 'Derby Weekender' Gaming Table/Terrain- it's

Post by sharnydubs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Get the photographs out Adrian !
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Napoleonic 'Derby Weekender' Gaming Table/Terrain- it's

Post by kiwipeterh » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:38 pm

This sounds really interesting. I'm looking forward to the photographs.

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/