The raising of the Saxon Army 1699-1712

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
toggy
Major General
Major General

Re: The raising of the Saxon Army 1699-1712

Post by toggy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:56 am

Gunter,

You have been a busy little bee, havn't you :D :D :D

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:57 am

Redmist1122 wrote:Gunter,
Very nice! I may have to match you to finish out my Saxon Army. I don't plan on doing as much as you, but will try to keep pace to finish out mine. I hope to share some pic as well.
Thanks for sharing...looking forward to future installments.
I dont think that my speed to paint units would in any way match yours :wink:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:14 am

Churchill wrote:Hi Gunter,

This is going to be one hell of a project...408 cavalry and 288 infantry alone without the artillery or commanders. :shock:
Good luck, I'll be watching this with interest.

Cheers,

Ray.
Hi Ray,

Thank you. Well, 288 Infantry is correct but because of a very weak Squadron strenght lets devide the 408 by 2 :roll: That would give 204 Figures. So the 68 Squadrons would be represented as 34 'BlB' Squadrons.

But I think it will be still an impressive force, mainly Kürassier's and some Dragoons.
Just placed an order with Reiver for 17 Command figures including his Majesty, August II., King of Poland and Elector of Saxony :wink:

First battalion has it's base color attached.

Cheers,
Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:23 am

barr7430 wrote:They look really fine Gunter! Love the gun as well... fine colours for the bumble bee (Hummel!) :)
Thank You Barry! Much appriciated!

I will of course never match any of the figures I have seen on the weekend but I am satisfied with the current look and as so many others stated sofar the Warefare Miniatures are easy to be painted!

The "Hummel" color makes them easy to identify :D

In the next time I will have to order some Light and Field Guns for which I would have a special request, but more of it later, in a PM.

Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:50 am

toggy wrote:Gunter,

You have been a busy little bee, havn't you :D :D :D

Bob
Hi Bob,

Yes, I am very enthusiastic and would like to keep it up as long as possible so I had to start on Tuesday morning with them.

My painter was very sad when I told him that I gonna paint them myself :D but that is also a financial question :? :(

So let's see what I can paint in the next time.

Thanks and Cheers,
Günter

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:51 am

Friedrich August I. wrote: That is something time will have to show :!:
But hopefully it wont run like the battle on Derby where I had the misfortune to loose my Fieldgun after the 2nd turn by misfire :roll: :cry:
I bet that was the field gun I just finished painting the week before the game you know what happens to freshly painting units on their first outing. :roll:
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:41 pm

While painting my first battalion, Regiment Kurprinz, I cant help but to think I am painting AWI figures because of the brown undercoat :wink:
Today the pikes from NorthStar arrived which will give me superb flagpoles.

Next to arrive are Reiver Castings and some colors.

Cheers,
Günter

Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Ray,

Thank You, this maybe usefull. That this figures have a different size may not be much of a problem as I only ordered Command Figures for single stands only as Wing Commanders, for the First and the Second Line and so on.
I have ordered some figures together with some accesories:
2 x GE1 Pack of 10 Gabions for fortifications
4 x AP3 12 - 24 pounder field gun
2 x PER3 Fredrik IV, King of Denmark and Norway
1 x PER4 August II, King of Poland and Saxony
2 x PER6 James II, King of England
2 x PER16 Prince Eugene of Savoy
2 x PER17 Villeroy, Francois de Neufville, Duc de-, Marechal de France
2 x PER18 Vauban, Sebastian le Prestre, Marquis de-, Marechal de France

Cheers,
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Dear Friends,

Here is a WIP picture of poor :oops: qualitiy. Found out when I loaded it up. Have to change the halogen bulbs for LED's to get better picture quality.

You can't make a difference between the light yellow of the facing colour and the buff color of the belts :roll: but I hope it show's the progress of the 1st Battalion, Infantry Regiment Kurprinz.

Next time I promise better quality pictures.

Best Wishes,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:20 pm

Dear Friends,

The following pictures are of better quality as I realized that I have to use the flashlight to get more 'white' pictures.

It's a time consuming job as I have to paint early in the morning as long as my eyes are rested. So sometimes I stand up 1 or 2 hours earlier before going to work to paint those figures and apply one or two colours.

Slow but steady progress. I trying to improve my paintingstyle.

Thanks for following.
Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:50 pm

Herr Heim,

Klasse! Sehr gut!!!!!!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:47 pm

barr7430 wrote:Herr Heim,

Klasse! Sehr gut!!!!!!
Thank You, Barry.
Btw., your knowledge of the german language get's better each time :D

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Dear Friends,

Today the 1st Battalion of the Kurprinz Regiment has been finished - in terms of painting them :wink: Now they have to wait for the Gardener to feel the grass around their feet and the flags which are to be made in the Colonnies :D

Here are a few pictures of my Saxons on their sofar unfinished bases. The pikes are placeholder for the future 3 flaggs.

On the left is a figure of the King on a currently unpainted Horse.
He wears the uniform of the Colonnel of the Guard du Corps of which he was the Commander.

Sofar I am satisfied with my painting style but I still work on improvements.

All kind of comments are welcome, good or bad! :D

Best Wishes,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:41 am

VERY nice Günter, keep up the good work!