The raising of the Saxon Army 1699-1712

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The raising of the Saxon Army 1699-1712

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat May 25, 2013 8:11 am

Redmist1122 wrote:Gunter,
I think the Ooooh's and Aaaah's are in order. Great looking command!

I just finished up a slew of Polish-Lithuanian cavalry(more winged Hussars, Pancerni and Tartars), that would compliment your Saxon force.

Looking forward to following your progress.
Greg,
Thank You for your kind comments.
The thought of Polish-Lithuanian support troops has strucked me once sofar but I think my Saxons will be quite enough (for the time being).

About the progress... 6 Battalions and 2 more Cavalry Regiments are on their way to my home within the next week.

I busy myself currently with 6 Artillery units, medium and light guns, for this units.

Cheers,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat May 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Gunter, I just love the four battalions you've finished so far.
The paintjob and basing are excellent and Clarence's flags are stunning, they could be the best work he's done on the flags to date.
Cheers
Dave
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sat May 25, 2013 4:45 pm

Beautiful work. I love how the bases look and the flags are stunning.
Greg
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun May 26, 2013 3:53 am

Dave, Greg,

Thank You very much!
The flaggs made by Clarence a real beauties and I like to believe that because they are not so easy in case of their motives and decorations that they are by far the best flags of our man in Virginia :wink: :D

The base style was very much influenced by what I have seen at the Derby's. Even as Dave's and Barry's basingstyle was flawless I liked Bob's style more :D

So, under the impressions I got from the Derby's and the kind help of yours, I have found a way how to finish those battalions.

Cheers,
Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun May 26, 2013 3:33 pm

Wunderbar! Bravo! Bravo! 8)

I have finally gotten my work out of the way and have had a chance to log on and see (from the far distance of Florida) the assembling legions of Friedrich August(The Strong). Magnificent sight Marshal Gunter! I hope to see them line up on a battlefield nearer home soon.....
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon May 27, 2013 9:48 am

barr7430 wrote:Wunderbar! Bravo! Bravo! 8)

I have finally gotten my work out of the way and have had a chance to log on and see (from the far distance of Florida) the assembling legions of Friedrich August(The Strong). Magnificent sight Marshal Gunter! I hope to see them line up on a battlefield nearer home soon.....
:oops:

If all works out as planed You will see the full Army in October so have some space ready for about 20+ Battalions and 36 Squadrons together with 15 gun models :wink: :D
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Thu May 30, 2013 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Mon May 27, 2013 2:14 pm

So every body else bring Swedes :shock:

Well done old chap

:evil: Ginger
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Mon May 27, 2013 6:41 pm

...or Russian allies! :lol:

I'll try to have a unit of Russians finished by October but need to concentrate on the Scots.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:45 pm

Ok,
To show my degree of infestation with the WFM-Disease :wink: I herewith present my latest plan for the Army that will invade the Isle of England in October:

http://www.digam.net/image.php?file=img ... 850&h=auto
EDIT
32 Battalions, 34 BlB Squadrons(68 in reality) 15 gun models (45 guns)

Of the above OOB 10 Battalions (4 based) and 6 BlB Squadrons are already in existence.
14 more Battalions are currently with my painter and will follow until the end of June. In the meantime I paint myself the Artillery units of which 6 are currently in the first stages.

More of it soon.

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:39 pm

Dear Friends,

Here are the results of the 6 Artillery units recently painted - they are 3 'light' and 3 'medium' Guns. The Mediums or 12 pdr are those with the decorated french-style barrels and look in my opinion very good. Figures are painted by me and are of a somewhat improofed painting style. Enjoy!

Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Very nice Gunter! Your Bumble Bees look very intimidating.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:54 pm

BOOM

BOOM

BOOM

BOOM

BOOM

BOOM!

Impressive stuff ArtillerieMeister! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:03 am

Ray,
Thank You for your kind comments. The new Warfare Miniatures French Barrels are very pretty and have a quite right look for this period of time.
The size of them compared with the 'light' guns seems to be almost the same but if someone keeps in mind that there have been 'light' 8pdrs of the size of 'medium' 12pdrs this does not matter. The thing with the 2 instead of 3 figures for light guns must have been overseen by me :roll: .
EDIT: No, not exactly overseen but accepted because I use heavy as medium and medium as light guns, therefore the increased number of gunners serving their guns :wink: :D

Dave,
Thank You. More of those with the humming noice are still to come, 9 to be exact.

Barry,
Yes, I like it that way :D
Even as I know that 15 gun models are by far the thickest artillery concentration anyone has I intend to go one step further and field later this year a Heavy Siege train too consisting of 4 of the 'Daddies' and some Mortars/Petards.

Next step will be preparing the flags for the (to arrive) 8 Battalions and the next 2 Cuirassier Regiments. After their basing I think it is time to do a 'group' shot :D

Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:22 am

Btw.,
here is a progress report for those who know that I bring my full Saxon Army this October Weekend to Derby.
I bought five "33-litre Very Usefull"- Boxes which are large enough to take 60 bases each with enough 'air' for the highest flaggs and space for some bubble wrap. The inside bottom is covered by magnatic sheets while the bases gets flexible steel from the Litko-Range. As most or all of my bases are of the 60 x 60 mm size the box is filled up to 5 mm to each side.
Those large boxes fit exactly in to cargo bay of my car. I will have to take 4 boxes with me as some Troops will to be 'recruited' in Scotland :wink: :D .

Of the above the Boxes and the magnetic sheets are in place. Litko ist still to arrive.
More of it later.

Günter