The raising of the Saxon Army 1699-1712

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Re: The raising of the Saxon Army 1699-1712

Post by turrabear » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:21 am

looks like you are doing an exellent job there gunther.can't wait to see them all based up.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:38 pm

Ray,

about doing the 2 Battalion Regiments I researched and figured out whose unit those 'Denkoff' Infantry was. When I saw it the first time the unit name gave me headaches :roll: .
The unit is part of one of the Guard Regiments most certain the Polish Crown Guard, commanded by a General Denhoff.

So that leaves me with 7 Regiments with 2 Battalions each and 1 Regiment with 3 Battalions.

Cheers,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:32 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:35 am

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the link :D . I know this website but I seem to have missed that OOB.

In case of the names of the Regiments it must be said that it was a very confusing time while naming Regiments of Infantry and Horse one time after their Colonnels and at another time after their owners. Most common was to own a Regiment of foot and horse by one owner like Kurprinz Infantry and Cuirassiers or, as you mentioned, Goertz Infantry and Cavalry.

Cheers,

Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:18 am

Dear Friends,

Once again I have choosen to let Neil Wilson paint the GNW Saxons. He has received the first Horsemen to paint. Starting with the Leibregiment and Kurprinz. Each Regiment will have 6 stands of 3 Figures with one colour as the Regiments were quite large in this early phase of the GNW.
In term of numbers the Regiments were raised with 12 companies of 74 men each plus 10 men Regimental Staff which gives them 898 men.
Doing 18 Figures gives them 720 men so they allready show some campaign consumption.

Pictures may follow until end of February.

To Barry,
I have completly miscalculated my Cuirassiers and also ordered, for the Guard du Corps, the wrong figures :cry: . Therefor you will receive within the next months a larger order for Cavalry and Infantry later on.

Best Wishes,
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:42 am

Dear Followers,

My Painter, Neil Wilson, has started the first 2 Cavalry Regiments which may be finished at the end of February. In the meantime I gave order for further Cuirassiers to form 5 more 18 figure Regiments. These will form the remaining units of the Garde du Corps, the Cuirassier Regiments of Königin, Eichstaedt, Steinau and Jordan.

Best Wishes,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Dear Friends,

The good news are that the first two Saxon Regiments, Leib and Kurprinz Regiment, have arrived.
The sad news are that they are to late to be taken to Derby tomorrow :cry:

So their basing and show time here has to wait until next week...
To Barry and Clibinarium I can only say those figures looking realy well and I am proud to have them.

Best Wishes,
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Dear Friends and Followers,

Here are a few pictures of the WIP on the Saxon Cavalry and the first Siege Gun Emplacement:

Here is the stage when I departed to Derby

The days after Derby they are glue'd on bases

bases with ground material but not yet finished

The Siege Gun, also known as 'Bumblebee's' :D
Here I tried to place the gunners on the base by removing their bases and positioning them around their gun

Ammo stacks are made of pellets.

Hope to finish the above this week.

Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:37 pm

I've changed my mind Gunter.... I'd like to see THIS Saxon Army in Derby 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:45 pm

barr7430 wrote:I've changed my mind Gunter.... I'd like to see THIS Saxon Army in Derby 8)
And You are not the only one who changed his mind :D :wink:

The first two Foot Battalions are finished and are on their way to me.
Pics follow as soon as they are based and 'flagged'(not flogged :D )

Side info:
I intend to use the available Cuirassiers as Dragoons too. Only question will be if Clarence will have time to do the Saxon Cavalry Flags until the End of September :roll: ... but that's another story :wink:

Thanks for your moral support, Barry.

Cheers,
Günter

Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Gunter,
Very nice!

Will you "pin" the artillery figures into the base or straight up glue them?
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Redmist1122 wrote:Gunter,
Very nice!

Will you "pin" the artillery figures into the base or straight up glue them?
I intend to glue them on the base. Your idea to pin them on the base will be thought over. Thanks!

Günter

ColinN
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by ColinN » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:
barr7430 wrote:I've changed my mind Gunter.... I'd like to see THIS Saxon Army in Derby 8)
And You are not the only one who changed his mind :D :wink:
They look terrific Gunter would love to see them 'in the flesh' come October.
"Colin Kills Kings, Colonels and Commoners... an equal opportunities employer"

http://khakidrab.blogspot.co.uk/
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:47 pm

ColinN wrote:They look terrific Gunter would love to see them 'in the flesh' come October.
Colin,

Thank You. Your wish maybe fullfilled :wink: :D

Cheers,
Günter

toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:53 pm

The solution is simple Gunter, hire a juggernaut & bring BOTH armies. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas