Regiment Montpuillan, 1690

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Gary
Private First Class
Private First Class

Regiment Montpuillan, 1690

Post by Gary » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:05 am

One of the Dutch horse regiments sent to Ireland, I took the uniform details from Grant's "Armies of Marlborough's Wars, vol 1" (grey/ white coat, lining and cuffs is all he lists, however) and used a large (read "enormous") dose of guessing and creativity for the flag.

The regiment's CO is listed in Sapherson's "William III At War" as Armand Nompar de Caumont de la Force, Marquis de Montpuillan. He also states the unit was raised in 1672.

I took this to mean the unit was Huguenot French (!). I also checked where Montpuillan was and found it to be in the Lot-et-Garonne region of Aquitaine in SW France. Thus, I came up with a white flag, white cross, added a fleur-de-lys in each canton and the arms of Aquitaine in escutcheon to finish it off.

Now watch someone come up with the real thing!!!

Figures are Wargames Factory plastics. Not the greatest figures, but well priced and great entry level to this period.

Gary

Gary
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Regiment Montpuillan, 1690

Post by Gary » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:24 am

The whole regiment so far, just a single squadron.

More photos of this and more on the blog - http//:geez-spot.blogspot.com

Gary