Eureka 28mm Austrian Chevaulegers

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Eureka 28mm Austrian Chevaulegers

Post by Sheepman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:09 pm

A quick review of these figures on the blog:
http://thenorthumbrianwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/
Here's a couple of pictures of them at this point with the the horses done:

If the John (Duke of Plaza-Toro) knows why there is no standard bearer in their range for these figures would he mind letting me know. I tried looking around for info but know one says that the Chevaulegers of this period didn't have standards and I was wondering why they wern't included.
I'll post later when I get these guys finished.
Dave.
Last edited by Sheepman on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I always wear me wellies'.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Eureka 28mm Austrian Chevaulegers

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:09 pm

Hello Dave

From memory I think we made the decision not to include a standard bearer based mainly on the statement towards the back of Haythornthwaite's Osprey MaA on the Austrian cavalry where he says the Austrian heavy cavalry liked to carry their standards on campaign - but for the most part the light cavalry regiments did not carry them in action.

Austrian practice is not untypical (French light cavalry units also tended to leave their standards at the depots) and I believe it is a reflection of the general view that the fluid and sometimes isolated nature of light cavalry warfare exposed prized standards to too much risk of capture.

There might have been some other references, but it's been quite a while since I did the research for the Austrian Chevaulegers and regrettably I no longer work full time for Eureka anymore (I'm just an occasional consultant these days) so I don't have ready access to the old file / information.

If none-the-less you still want a Chevauleger standard bearer the usual course of action in these circumstances is to email Nic Robson at Eureka and pester him to add one to the range (he may succumb if you catch him in a weak moment...) But alternatively, a more successful solution might be to consider using the Austrian Dragoon standard bearer if you are up for a little conversion work (a head swap).

You won't find the Austrian Dragoons on the Eureka website (not officially released yet), but they do exist and they do include a standard bearer. You will need to replace the bicorne head with a Chevauleger's head, but otherwise the uniforms are the same (but for - again from memory - some minor differences to the saddle cloth I think which you should be able to 'get away with'!) If this idea appeals drop Nic an email via the Eureka website and I'm sure he'll be happy to set it up for you (tell him I sent you!) If you don't get any joy - get back to me.

DPT
(John)
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:56 pm

John,
Many thanks for your time with your reply, my solution (already done actually) is simply to chop the sword off a trooper re sculpt his hand, drill and fix the flag staff. Job done.
Maybe not historically accurate but I'm afraid I couldn't bear the thought of not having a standard leading the lads :)

Not the best picture I'm afraid, but you get the idea.
Thanks again,
Dave.
Last edited by Sheepman on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:41 am

Dave,
In the case of the Saxon Light Cavalry, aka Chevau Legers, they carried 4 flags anytime, if in the field or on parade.

Picture show's the Prinz Clemens Ulan's 1812. I only gave them the Leibstandarte but not the 3 Ordinärfahnen, one in each Squadron.
The fact that they carried all their flags in the field is documented by many in Russia lost/captured Standards of both types.

Best Wishes,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:29 pm

The Russians captured a few Austrian cavalry standards in 1812, but interestingly they were all old Charles VI pattern flags which would have made them anything from around 70 to 100 years old!

This could of course be just a case of regiments proudly retaining some ancient and treasured symbol, but it did cross my mind it could equally represent a deliberate policy of taking old tatty flags out of storage for campaigns while the nice shiny new flags are left safely at home? Even by the usual ponderous pace of Austrian re-supply during the Napoleonic Wars having to make do (?) with a 100 hundred year old flag does seem rather extreme.

DPT
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -

Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Gunter,
Four flags for each regiment, now that's what I call raising the standards. :roll:
Dave
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Finally, finally finished them. Looking back I think I should have split the painting in two lots of twelve but I wanted to get them finished so I bashed on. Frankly by the end I was sick of the sight of the buggers but it has to be said that they've turned out well and I'm quite pleased.
The Eureka figures are well proportioned and have painted up easily, they're a cross between the more formal Front Rank look and the more animated Elite type so other than the cost (which I was prepared to pay to get the Austrian cavalry brigade compleated) I'm happy enough.
I decided that I didn't want to paint the red facings of the first two green coated Chevauleger regiments, the only other regiment with green coats at this time 1794-5 (other than the Latour regiment who wore cocked hats) was the 4th with blue facings.
So onto the pics

First off a general view of the 4th (Baron Vincent) regiment:

A closer shot:

Some individual shots:

A few more shots on the old blog:
http://thenorthumbrianwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/
Dave.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Nicely done sir!
Greg
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:24 am

Very nicely done!
Cheers
Dave
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:35 pm

They are excellent! Really, really nice.

DPT

Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sheepman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:38 pm

Many thanks gentlemen, your opinions are greatly valued.
Dave
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:27 am

Wow. Really the only word for it.

Capital job there. They've really come to life!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.