Wolseley’s Enniskillen Regiment

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Wolseley’s Enniskillen Regiment

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:36 pm

...they do indeed.

DPT
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:48 pm

These are absolutely cracking Clarence. I particularly love the way you have posed Mr 'Right of the Line' . The arm position is bang on.

Your Wolseley's obviously post date my Wolseley's. Mine are their 'Recruit, scruffy and unblooded' phase whilst your's are clearly in the 'Battle tested, uniformed and unstoppable' phase.

If the rest of your Horse turn out like this then they will be mighty impressive.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:09 pm

Just went by Sapherson - there was no date for when they received their uniforms. I don't have the book with me but I think they were raised in 1689 so I thought they would have been uniformed by the Boyne encounter. I actually like your scruffy guys, but I didn't see them until after I started or I might have gone that route!

I have another squadron started and after that I plan to paint Schomberg's Huguenot regiment in grey with red facings...

On the subject of scruffy troops I think I am going to paint any Jacobite units with unknown uniforms in civilian browns and greys rather than simply assume grey French uniforms - kind of like my American AWI militia. I love the Jacobite pike units you painted, Barry!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:07 pm

I think there is plenty of scope for ECW type non uniformed units but of course with the later 17th century dress. I just can't imagine that there was such a high degree of uniformity, cleaniliness and availability around at a time when soldiers were barely paid if at all, corruption was rampant amongst both vendors and purchasers, no real regulations existed, men were changing sides frequently, militias were involved and standards of personal hygiene were off the scale. I read somewhere recently that Louis XIV only ever had one bath in his adult life! If that is true I shudder to think what his smalls looked like!
This richest man in Europe should have been the least smelly!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:50 pm

barr7430 wrote:I think there is plenty of scope for ECW type non uniformed units but of course with the later 17th century dress. I just can't imagine that there was such a high degree of uniformity, cleaniliness and availability around at a time when soldiers were barely paid if at all, corruption was rampant amongst both vendors and purchasers, no real regulations existed, men were changing sides frequently, militias were involved and standards of personal hygiene were off the scale. I read somewhere recently that Louis XIV only ever had one bath in his adult life! If that is true I shudder to think what his smalls looked like!
This richest man in Europe should have been the least smelly!
Well, the infantry bathed frequently. Whenever they crossed a stream or whenever it rained!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 am

I'm just back from staying with my brother for a week in the Alpes Maritimes. (a liitle village called Sospel) I went to the local museum which has various bits and bobs.Speaking to the curator it would appear that the various Louis' raised several regiments from the area.
From the conversation I had with him its pretty much as suspected. The local "regulars" seem to have started out with a white or strangely light yellow/ buff coat . Cross belts, muskets and a hat of some description were provided.
Local militia were however hardly uniform at all. Large numbers didn't have shoes and hats were whatever you fancied wearing.
Interesting speaking to a local historian
So it seems like pretty non uniform uniform especially for newly raised or militia.
Nothing startlingly new then but good to have it "confirmed"
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:17 pm

j1mwallace wrote:The local "regulars" seem to have started out with a white or strangely light yellow/ buff coat .
The "strangely light yellow" shade was common to many 17th Century buff coats (especially the better quality ones) when they were new. It was I think an effect caused by the leather tanning / curing process, and faded to 'buff' over time.

Another odd snippet of information I seem to recall about buff coats (at least during the ECW) was they were expensive items to purchase - a good one cost more than a horse. Those Sealed Knot regiments you see with every musketeer in a buff coat are not authentic I was once told .

DPT
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -

quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Done and dusted...

The second squadron is underway!
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:31 pm

Very, very, nice indeed.

And that goes for your blue guards too from the other thread. Also very very good.

Now excuse me, I'm just off to take a ball-peen hammer to the cavalry I was working on :lol:

Andy
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Utterly lovely but I being the big battalions man that I am cant help feeling there should be more of them :shock: .

:evil: Ginger
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 pm

EvilGinger wrote:Utterly lovely but I being the big battalions man that I am cant help feeling there should be more of them :shock: .

The second squadron is underway...
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:56 am

Very good but I was meaning more like the daft things I do I have 30 in a "half troop" done with Wargames factory troopers & Dixon command for my Sharp Practice Variant & stopped waiting for Warfare cavalry to come out before making this up to more perhaps a couple of squadrens.

I am I fear a bit deranged may be more than a bit

quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Finished the second squadron this morning...

There is another pic of the WIP conversion of the ensign on my blog...
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:44 pm

What a superb looking unit :D
Personaly I like the idea placing them 'onto' the fence :wink:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:40 am

I'm not going to sit on the fence on this one - they look great!

DPT