The raising of the Royal Saxon Army 1869 - 1871

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The raising of the Royal Saxon Army 1869 - 1871

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:43 pm

Dfogleman2 wrote:Just a question. Outside the pickelhaube, which would have a different plate, could the figures be used for other German states?
Danny,

With only minor changes to the Feldmuetze and the design of the frontplate on the Pickelhaube you are able to use those figures for almost all other countries in the FPW, all but Brunswick and Bavaria. For the others the differences are quite small and almost not visible.

As I wanted to start with Saxons I got one unique feature that only Saxons had on their uniforms - the trousers. They are not worn like Prussian Regulation says - being stuck into the boots - but hanging half over them.

I can assure you that we will not end the range with Saxons alone :wink:

Thanks,

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Scruffy blighters! :D :wink:
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:57 pm

Have you seen this blog Gunter?
http://carryingsonupthedale.blogspot.co ... axons.html
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:13 pm

obriendavid wrote:Have you seen this blog Gunter?
http://carryingsonupthedale.blogspot.co ... axons.html
Cheers
Dave
Thanks Dave for sharing:-) No I didn't know that blog

His presumption was not entirely wrong but when war broke out the southern german states as well as Hannover wasn't ready for war. So marching there wouldn't have made any difference where they got whiped out :roll:

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Here are first hand news from the FPW Front:

This weekend I received the first 50 figure Battalion of Saxon Infantry.
All who come to Dumfries will have a chance to take a look on them.

Plans are to do some more sculpts of skirmishing Light Infantry before releasing them to the market.

Wednesday will see a loooong discussion day with my gun foundry for the Krupp Guns and some other minor stuff.

I am looking forward to this!

Cheers,
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed May 21, 2014 4:47 am

Dear Friends,

We, my Sculptor, his Friend Bill Herbert and I, are desperatly looking for a good source of scale drawings or pictures for the Krupp-Canon!

There are a lot of pictures in the I-Net but they are very confusing because of mixtures between C61/64 models up to C71/72 models.
There seems to be no certainty about how they have really looked and even the Company KRUPP make drawings of them still a Top Secret!

So I ask you if someone have pictures or drawings of the real canons used in the FPW!

Thanks for the help!

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:28 am

Dear Friends,

Some may say I am a bit lazy :wink: but in this case I gave my Napoleonic Saxons priority :!:

So it comes that I post now some pictures of black inked Miniatures of this new range of Saxon Troops in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71:

All of the above sculpts come with loose heads which can be choosen out of 26 Variants (10 are for the Light Infantry):

More of it as soon as I got the Artillery finished... :roll:
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artimas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Artimas » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:25 pm

Looking great!

Artimas
Jefferson City, Missouri USA
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by chema1986 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:04 am

Woow! It is not my period, but they are very nice miniatures, are you going to sell them ?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:52 am

chema1986 wrote:Woow! It is not my period, but they are very nice miniatures, are you going to sell them ?
Yes, Chema, this Miniatures will be officially on Sale in a few month. Currently there are about 15 different poses which will be followed by about the same number of Light Infantry.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:42 am

Today, 144 Years ago, the Saxon Arms celebrated their greatest Feat!

Today is the anniversary of

The Battle of St. Privat, Gravelotte!

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Dear Followers of this Thread,

Currently we are at about 25 differnt sculpted Miniatures with work on Officers and Jaegers is progressing very well. Here are a few greens of WIP:

The last Figure is made after a drawing of a wounded Officer who has grabbed a Rifle and is sniping on the French.

Steve is hoping to have the range in production until Christmas '14.

Thank You!

Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:28 am

On the last weekend I provided Steve with the money to sculpt and make moulds for the next 15 sculpts which will give him a nice pillow to rest on when starting with the Grenadiers. The common Grenadier won't be of any Uniform difference to the other Infantry. Only the helmets will have horsehair "plumes" instead of the blank peak. The Leib Grenadiers only have distincive lace on Cuffs and Collars.
As the Jeagers are finished by now those Grenadiers will conclude the Infantry for the FPW Project.

2015 will start with the sculpting of Artillery and Crew. The Artillerycrew is planned to have up to 10 different poses. The Krupp Guns will have different barrels to differ between 8cm/4pdr and 9cm/6pdr Field Guns.

Later in 2015 the first Cavalry will be "touched", the Ulans, as they are common for all Prussians as for the Prussian Allied Armies.

The Production Mould making Process is in full swing to make the release of the Jaegers and Line Infantry until Christmas possible.

Cheers,
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:17 pm

Dear Followers of this Thread!

Today I received a first list of what has been sculpted so far for the FPW-Range. Also Steve layed out how he want's to sell them.

Here is the list of FPW miniatures. They will be sold in packs because of the separate heads. Some packs will have mixed types in like the command packs. I have listed the individual figures here as best as I can remember them at the current time.

SAXON Line infantry
marching officer
marching standard bearer
marching bugler
marching drummer
marching infantryman shoulder shift
charging infantry holding scabbard trail arms
charging infantry type 1
charging infantry type 2
charging infantry type 3
charging officer
charging standard bearer
standing firing
standing loading
kneeling firing
kneeling loading
laying loading
falling wounded
laying dead
kneeling officer pointing
kneeling officer
kneeling bugler
laying firing officer

SAXON Jaegers
charging type 1
charging type 2
charging type 3
charging holding scabbard trail arms
laying dead
kneeling bugler
marching bugler
standing firing
kneeling firing
standing loading
laying loading
falling wounded

then we use the following as jaeger figures with just a head swap
marching officer
marching standard bearer
marching drummer?
marching infantryman shoulder shift
charging officer
charging standard bearer
kneeling officer pointing
kneeling officer
kneeling bugler
laying firing officer

Our mould of 30 different heads with caps, jaeger caps and picklehaubes.

We also have made those Prussian conversions.. we need to look through those to see how many we have done but it is at least 8.

This will a be a very large range.

Best Wishes,

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:07 am

Dear Friends,

Out of the before mentioned list I will start to compose the First Infantry Regiment, Nr. 102 Kronprinz. The Regiment, as all of the Line Infantry, is composed of 3 Battalions, each of 4 Companies 250 men strong.

Having in mind that 4E has a 1:20 figure/men ratio that would give 50 Figures, a number that won't fit easely on bases. Therefore I intend to go for quite large bases of TWELVE Figures each which brings the Battalion to a strength of 48 Figures. The main fighting form will be the Line, both for Firing and Charching, the Coloumn is for advancing and manouvering/ marching only. So a Battalion in line will be 24 figures wide and 2 figures deep. One or two Officers will go with each company, eventually on Single bases.

The three Battlion structure provides me with the opportunity to built the Battalions in three different styles - one charging, one marching and one skirmishing or firing.

Any comments are welcome.

Cheers,
Günter