Multiple charges

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Matt507

Multiple charges

Post by Matt507 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:12 pm

I wonder if anyone can advise us on a recent query and if we resolved it correctly. We had three cavalry units in the approximate position:
A B C
A and C are Russian and B is Polish. A and B are facing each other, C is facing the rear of B. Hope that makes sense!

A and B declare mutual charges and C declares a charge on the rear of B. We then debated how the rules would cover this. I won’t go over the arguments which hinged over B’s reaction to the charge on its rear by C.

But we decided that all three should take a test to see if they would charge, they all passed.

B then had to test its reaction to being charged by C, it passed.

A and B then charged each other and C hit the rear of B. The melee was resolved with modifiers relating to B being hit in the rear.
We weren’t convinced this was in strict accordance with the rules, but agreed that in the ‘real world’ B wouldn’t try and face C but would continue its charge and take the consequences when it was hit.

If B had failed its test when charged by C it would have obeyed that result and been caught between the two.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Matt
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: Multiple charges

Post by flick40 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:38 pm

I had this answered with die rolls and references and it logged me out b4 I could post it, so here goes again, the short version.

A and C can charge B at the same time with A and B as the principle combat units. C only provides combat modifiers. My similation gave A 4D12 hitting on 6's and B 4D8's hitting on 6's as well. My rolls gave 3 hits each, A gets 2 and C 1 (see pg 90 casualties are evenly split between combatants of the same side) and then B gets 3. The melee is a tie but B lost 50% and needs a morale check.

B failed and routs but I feel in this situation there is nowhere to rout and therefore surrenders. You can play it out as a rout but routers contacted by pursuers are destroyed.

B gave a good go but was effectively surrounded.

A and C will need to Form next turn or rally back and form the turn after that if they do.

Hope it was fun
"Is that your opinion or the game masters ruling?"
Matt507

Post by Matt507 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:34 pm

Thanks for the reply, but I think you have A and C charging and B being stationary?

We agreed that A and B would mutually charge, as in ‘reality’ it wouldn’t stand still because of a charge from a unit behind it. We felt it would charge and then be hit by C’s charge in its rear.

In our game unit B (my Poles!) rolled better dice than A and C (Russian dragoons) and won the melee.

It was fun, for me at least…

Regards, Matt
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:02 am

In my original reply that the forum duped me out of, yes I handled it as if all 3 were charging.

B rolled the lower die in Melee because it was charged from behind and A rolled high because C was supporting. C rolls no dice.

Simultaneous charges can happen (up to three units vs one) but only the 2 principle units fight the rest provide supports. In your case A and B.

I'm glad you had fun.
"Is that your opinion or the game masters ruling?"
Matt507

Post by Matt507 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Great, thanks. We did it right!