BLB2 innovations for users

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

BLB2 innovations for users

Post by barr7430 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:43 am

During our demo game at Carronade, Falkirk, I used several small units of single based miniatures between 5-8 strong. They were used as forlorn hope/advanced guard/detachments. They were counted as seperate units requiring orders. The shot as either 1 or 2 stands depending on actual numbers. They took morale tests as would other units requiring support/isolation modifiers to be applied. Larger battlaions DID NOT check morale if the smaller dtachments routed. The innovation worked very well. Small 'sub battles' developed within the larger action creating nice interesting situations for example:

A detchment of 8 Jacobite musketeers held an advanced position in a ruined church(hard cover) inside a small copse. They were engaged by a unit of 5 Williamite dragoons, then 8 greandiers, then a further 8 musketeers. Meanwhile the larger Williamite army was marching past the engagement heading for Drogheda. The Jacobites did very well. All musket, defend orders, hard cover. The caused about 9 casualties over 4-5 turns and the situation (and look because of the single based skirmish nature of the action) was entertaining for spectators and players. This option will be included in the forthcoming Ireland supplement and can be used in any theatre.

Thouhgt you might like to know and use :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Re: BLB2 innovations for users

Post by quindia » Sun May 06, 2012 11:10 pm

That sounds interesting... I have a Charles Grant scenario around here somewhere that has small units defending a flank behind redoubts with a forlorn hope leading the assault ahead of infantry battalions. It would be fun to paint up some skirmish level units anyway and if I could incorporate them into larger games, so much the better!
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:18 am

An interesting idea!! Were the figures on a bigger base?
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:15 am

No Ray, much more pragmatic situation..

I wanted to fill the table with as much Warfare stuff as possible and I wanted the scenario to have a slightly less conventional look than normal so,

I used individually based models that appear in the shop gallery to create 7 extra units: 2 grenadier, 1 dragoon and 4 musketeer detachments. I used 4 of these to lead the Williamite attack and so they got engaged first with a unit of the same type which the Jaocbites were using to defend a ruined church. The game is on a gallery on TMP under Carronade. I will have some photos up here soon, then you'll be able to see the set up.

Henry Ford
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:29 pm

The Irish at Aughrim had small units like this harrassing from hedgerows as well. I will give them a try next time we play.

Joe
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:50 pm

I've searched for the pics....can't find them, I'll just have to wait for your pics. Sounds like a great idea though!
Ray

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:22 pm

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon May 07, 2012 7:49 pm

And if you look closely you can identify Barry on the last Picture on the TMP page :mrgreen:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:01 am

Nice pics and an excellent looking game, looking forward to hearing more about this idea, I better dig out my bits box!!!
Ray