Melee/Close Combat

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Justin Penwith
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Melee/Close Combat

Post by Justin Penwith » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:08 pm

We ran into this the other day, for the first time.

Swedish/Ottoman foot that has not fired previously receives a bonus +4 dice for melee (first bound).

We assumed that the original battalion involved, which has received the +4, loses the first fire bonus subsequent to the melee.

However, what about reinforcing battalions that have also withheld their first fire? Do they receive the +4, even though they cannot legally fire into melee (the bonus represents very close range shooting as per the rules). Do they NOT receive the +4, but keep their first fire bonus for later shooting?

As umpire, I ruled that the reinforcing foot did not get the +4, but also kept their first fire bonus as they went in with the cold steel.
I am a wargamer; I wargame. I paint wargaming miniatures and, every so often, I blog about it at : http://royalistroundhead.blogspot.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Melee/Close Combat

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:33 pm

Justin, I would go along with your interpretation. It sounds sensible. Definitely no close combat bonus for the 'Reinforcers' the are NOT the principal unit who get the +2 for being supported in combat. Unlikely that much shooting would be done if running into an existing hand to hand combat.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford