Help for a newbie to begin in BLB

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Nicofig

Help for a newbie to begin in BLB

Post by Nicofig » Wed May 02, 2018 8:56 am

Hello everyone,

I would like to play with my son with the Beneath Lilly Banner rules. However, I need your help. :oops:

Can you advise me on what to buy to be able to constitute two armies (how many units of infantry, cavalry, guns ? ).

How much do I need to buy figures for each unit ? Where do you get your base ? I am waiting my rules so I haven't informations about basing.

I already know that I would like to have one French army and another according to your opinion.

I thank you in advance for your advice. :D
quindia
General
General

Re: Help for a newbie to begin in BLB

Post by quindia » Wed May 02, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi, Nicofig!

Welcome to the forum..

The book will be a big help when it arrives because we tried to ensure it would be a roadmap for new players.

The basic unit of foot is a battalion represented by three stands of six models (18), though in practice this can vary from 5-7 models depending on what looks right to you. The actual number of models is unimportant as we treat all infantry stands as six models. The basic unit for mounted units is a squadron represented by two stands of three models (6). Units are then grouped into brigades - I use 2-4 battalions or 3-6 squadrons per brigade for my typical games.

BLB can be used to run all sizes of games. My personal preference for my table (4x6’) is 10-12 units per side. This is a good size for two people to be able to play a game in an evening. There is no hard and fast rule about the composition of your armies, but there was often a higher proportion of mounted troops than in some periods, and aiming for one cavalry squadron (Horse or Dragoons) per infantry battalion is not a bad target. For this size of game we recommend no more than one field gun per side and one light gun per infantry brigade. Each army might have one two-stand (12 models) unit of converged grenadiers as well, depending on the period and theater you choose.

All that said, I’ve played games with as few as five or six units per side.. this makes for a quick game, but works perfectly fine while you are still building your collections.

I use 3mm thick laser-cut plywood for my bases.. I know a guy who makes them for me, but there are lots of online retailers who sell these. There is lots of info in the book about the size of these bases. I use 50x50mm for an infantry stand and 80x50mm for a cavalry stand... again, not a rule, just a guideline. Minor differences in base size makes no difference in the game.

The opponents for your French will depend on the theater and part of the period you choose, but will probably include some mix of Dutch, Danes, and English!

Hope that helps.. feel free to sound off if you have any more questions..
Nicofig

Post by Nicofig » Wed May 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Thank you very much Quindia. :D

Really everything is clear now and I can place my orders. It's amazing.

Thanks again. :wink:
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed May 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Anytime... :mrgreen: