Brigadier attached to destroyed unit

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
JT_Brit
Private
Private

Brigadier attached to destroyed unit

Post by JT_Brit » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:25 pm

Hi, i’m just playing a game with the rules for the first time so apologies if i’ve just missed the rules text for this one. If a brigadier is attached to a unit and that unit is completely destroyed, what happens to him? Is he just free to ride away to safety is is he automatically killed or captured? - thanks
JT_Brit
Private
Private

Re: Brigadier attached to destroyed unit

Post by JT_Brit » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:28 pm

Sorry - i have another question to go with that one. Can opposing units in close combat simultaneously rout? - thanks
Schomberg
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Schomberg » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:18 am

Hi,

Any attached character is forced to retreat along with the routing unit for one turn and can detach in the following turn. There doesn't seem to be the same risk to officers as there is for shooting.

In melee there is a winner and a loser. I seem to remember that only the losing unit takes a morale check even if the numbers of models in the winning unit are reduced to a point where they would normally be required to take a morale test.

PK
JT_Brit
Private
Private

Post by JT_Brit » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:33 am

Thanks Schomberg. The thing is that the unit was totally destroyed (last figure eliminated), so i wasn't sure what the attached brigadier would do if he would be eliminated with the unit. For the other example, the close combat was a tie and the rulebook states that units check if greater than half casualties. In my case, both units failed the check and routed. It just looked a little strange with both units running away from one another....
Schomberg
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Schomberg » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:25 pm

Nps JT

It appears that I entirely missed that the unit was destroyed and not routed :oops: . I'd say that in that circumstance the Brigadier is removed from play. Whether he is captured, killed or has miraculously escaped to fight another day is up to you but he has no more impact on the current battle.

If playing in a campaign with prisoner exchange, then perhaps a D6 roll might be in order. 1-2 dead, 3-4 captured, 5-6 escaped?
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:51 pm

JT_Brit wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:28 pm
Sorry - i have another question to go with that one. Can opposing units in close combat simultaneously rout? - thanks
The winner doesn’t have to test even if they are below half strength.