Question on Command Radii

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Yermolov
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Question on Command Radii

Post by Yermolov » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:28 am

I received my copy of the rules in the mail last week and have spent as much free time as possible pouring over them.

I have a quick question regarding command radii. The rules state on page 32 that all units of a brigade must attempt to remain within the brigadier's command radius of nine inches. What are the effects if they cannot or choose not to due to brigade deployment? If you have a brigade deployed in a single line of battalions, odds are good that some of them will be more than 9" away from the brigadier regardless of whether they are in line or column formations.

I'm aware of the issues with issuing single-unit orders to units outside of the command radius. Are there any other penalties that I've missed? The wording on page 32 makes it sound like there are other issues that units outside of command range will face.

Thanks in advance,

Bart
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:00 am

Hi Bart,

there should be nothing implied that isn't stated. The biggest problems to a player in the situation you described are:
1. Double MPs for activation
2. Un supported by own Brigade
3. Out ofcommand radius of Brigadier

Remote from the enemy this is not a problem as such but proximate to the enemy, under fire or being threatened in a charge situation it is not good!
Hope this helps

cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Yermolov
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Yermolov » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks Barry,

That makes sense. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything else.

Bart