FIRST REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE WEEKENDER

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

FIRST REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE WEEKENDER

Post by barr7430 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:39 pm

Dear All,

we have to start somewhere so the best place is close to home!

The first weekender with be 17 & 18 April 2010 and the venue will be
The Lundin Links Hotel, Lundin Links (near Leven)
right on the beautiful Fife Coast.
For those travelling from the south this is immediately across the Firth of Forth from Edinburgh so the journey time by road is probably Edinburgh + 40 minutes.

We have a special deal from the hotel which is:
2 lunches, breakfast + dinner plus a twin room for £60 all in or a single room at £75. For those wishing to travel up on the Friday night we can get a price for a further night B&B from the hotel.
Residential is not mandatory so gamers who live nearer and want to commute can attend also.

This is a turn up and play game. It will be very much like playing a League of Augsburg game as all the troops will be provided and come from my own and some friends collections.

The game will be an umpire driven scenario based around

The Battle of Waterloo
For those who have Republic to Empire just turn up with your rules, tapes and dice.
For those without the rules you will be able to get them at the game at a special price of £20.00. There will also be special deals on counter sets.

The game will commence at 0930 on Saturday with a short briefing session. We'll play till lunch, break to eat and then resume play till about 1930. We'll adjourn for dinner and then play a final move or two after dinner. Sunday will begin at 0930 with the usual break for lunch and final moves about 1500 hours.

The total cost to play for 2 days is £50 excluding accommodation, meals and rules(if you have to buy them!)

The plan is to run similar events elsewhere in the country but the rates may not be so attractive!

If you want to come along please email me on
wordtwister@hotmail.co.uk
and let me know what you need in terms of accommodation etc.
Also let me know if you have a preference to be French or Allied!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:43 pm

OK we're rolling. We've got the first few players organised and looking for more!

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:46 pm

A little bit more about the scenario:

We will be playing in the centre of the battlefield between Hougomont and Papelotte where the French should have won as a result of D'Erlon's 1st Corps attack between 1130 and 1400.

The forces involved will be D'Erlon's 1st Corps (full Corps with every battalion represented), supporting cavalry, artillery and reserves.

The Allies will feature British, Nassau, Dutch-Belgian and German troops.
The tables will be deep to allow manoeuvre and some fancy stuff!

Henry Ford
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi Barry
looking forward to the weekender,wargaming,golf & haggis couldn't be better.Just got to read up about where the French cocked up & try not to do the same.
see you in April
Bob
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:17 am

Barry,

As you know, I'm in and also look forward to participating in D'Erlon's Corps where I will keep a weather eye on that bugger Sgt Ewart.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:02 pm

The commands are definitely shaping up. Jim and Bob down as the French, Ray and Paul down as the Allies, Dave and I,well you'll just have to wait and see..
A few more pending commits and we'll probably stop about 10 if we get to that number!
More scenario details coming soon but each player is guaranteed a Division at least! (without giving too much away!!)
No rushing for the orbats and trying to find out just what you might be up against!! :wink:

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

1st R2E Weekender.

Post by Churchill » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:10 pm

Barry,

Hotel room is booked, cheque for the game will be in the post tomorrow and today I took the plunge and purchased the R2E rules from my friends Mark & Ray of Reiver Castings.
After a quick flick through them it looks like £27.50 well spent, a excellent production, plenty of eye candy photo's and now comes the reading of them over and over again.

Jim

I hear the French player's are giving out flag's before the game starts just to keep that hero Sgt. Ewart happy. :lol: :wink: :shock:
Tally Ho

Regards.......Ray.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Ray,

Just remember when they give you Bijlandt's Brigade that it is not a race for tea and bikkies in Brussels, you are supposed to stand and fight this time. :P

Jim

PS: In the interests of friendship and good sportsmanship, I can bring along a few spare rout markers if you feel you are going to run short.
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

1st R2E Weekender.

Post by Churchill » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Jim,

:lol: Ha Ha Ha I like your responce :lol:

Bijlandt's Brigade is cannon fodder anyway!!!

Got to give the Grand Battery something to fire at, but watch your ammo. :shock:

Ray :wink:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:35 pm

Numbers are creeping up now there will be a minimum of 7 of us with a couple to confirm yet. Still one or two places available for anyone still thinking about it :D

Also looks like Durette's Division will make an appearance together with some extra Allied formations :wink:

I have bought and converted the Hovels La Haie Sainte to a table piece much more in scale with R2E. Bearing in mind that the model 'as sold' is 5 times the ground area required to be in scale most 28mm Napoleonic rules. I have managed to get it to just over 2 x size with 4 hacksaws, plenty of milliput and a lot of brute force. It's looking good! Some pics soon :wink:

Henry Ford
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:07 am

I'm coming over to the UK in August or September
If there's another even around that time I'd be interested
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:12 pm

That is a possibility.. I had not intended this to be a 'one off' and the first is of course important in terms of response.

We'll keep you fully posted and will take plenty of pics!

Henry Ford
jimmigoggles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jimmigoggles » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:57 pm

Hello Barry and boys!

Sorry, i can't make this weekender. My wife believes my lads' 1st birthday more important. I don't know..........

However, i'm still very interested for feedback on this weekend and potential other's. I could most likely bring along one or two SODS as well.

Hope it all goes well.

We're going to try your Genappe scenario at the club. Haven't read it yet. Butt i always liked this part of Mercer's memoirs. The one successful rocket battery shot, the charging houseold troops and Uxbridge leaving the stranded half horse battery in the narrow line. Great!

Dean
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:47 pm

OK, we are still bumping up slowly but surely with 8 confirmed for the weekend now. Can probably take another two players max so if anyone is out there and dithering... stop it now!.. :wink:

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:56 pm

barr7430 wrote: ...I have bought and converted the Hovels La Haie Sainte to a table piece... :wink:
You lucky b****** :P

I have to make do with the Airfix plastic 1/72 version.

I am really looking forward to seeing this and if you need extra fencing and walls, I have about 20ft of the Warhammer stuff which you are more than welcome to use. Actually, once the GW motifs are sawn off, as I have done, it fits in well with any period from TWY to Napoleonic.

Regards,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.