The wrath of Miniature Wargames

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Wargames Illustrated.

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed May 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Barry,

Whilst on the subject of printed matter, I have just finished reading your article "Old Soldiers Never Die..." in WARGAMES illustrated issue 271. I like the idea of the MP adjustment for small actions. That could almost be an official optional rule.

In a lot of your photos (e.g. on pp 28 and 29) there are two or three buildings that recur. Are they commercially produced and if so, who makes them?

Regards,

Jim
Last edited by CoffinDodger on Wed May 26, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Wed May 26, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi Barry,
I know some people who've just spent some time in a hot and hostile place (not Margate) and are looking forward to a little "free time" if you like they might want to "reveiw " Mr Macfarlane for 1-2 hrs or over a period of several days. Reading is'nt a strong point,and if we're honest they play by their own rules. Still they have original ideas about where to place figures and tape measures.

Please dont misunderstand, they're calm ,centred people with no axe to grind................... i mean who needs an axe! :lol:

Nah ,only kidding ,but if you want i'll send the wife.
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Thanks for that DB but I can live with it. Hope your 'Lads' get some well deserved R&R back in Blighty.

I am beginning to feel a little sorry for Mr macfarlane :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Thu May 27, 2010 10:14 pm

Barry, just be grateful you didn't write the "Napoleon" rule set :shock:

Must admit when my son brought the mag home (he got it for the Crimean article), I had a quick skip through and didn't bother reading the reviews as they are nearly always to kind to the Authors. However (obviously you and the Napoleon author are exceptions), after reading these posts on here I thought i'd go back and read the reviews....oh boy, oh boy, hmmm :roll: ....tell you what, what I'll do for you, I'll bring the mag along to Partizan for everyone..errr, I mean for you to look at yourself :twisted:

Chin up, Bravehart wouldn't let this get to him!!!

Stuart
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:40 pm

Ha Ha!

You know me Stuart... not exactly the delicate flower likely to wilt in the heat! :wink:

Crit and interest are fine.. it's when the bloke writing it draws enormous conclusions from a cursory glance and pushing a couple of units around the table between mouthfuls of his Findus Dinner for One that I really get homicidal :lol:

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:34 am

Was that fellow at Partizan with the backpack BmacF??... with the backpack????... they ALL had backpacks! 8)

Henry Ford
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Mon May 31, 2010 1:23 pm

barr7430 wrote:Was that fellow at Partizan with the backpack BmacF??... with the backpack????... they ALL had backpacks! 8)
Not guilty m' Lord!

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 31, 2010 1:28 pm

You're one of the GOOD GUYS Darrell! :wink:

Henry Ford
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:38 am

barr7430 wrote:You're one of the GOOD GUYS Darrell! :wink:
:lol:

I am indeed :D .

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Another critique of RtE on BGG

Gentlemen,

I may have been a bit harsh on this one but I felt he needed educating.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:05 am

Admitting to participating in Warhammer 40k, Jim? :shock:

I thought I was the only one among this high-minded historical forum (after all, there's no sci-fi category although I know for a fact that Barry has painted a few WW2 zombies...).

Actually, every game of R2E I've played has been on a 4x6' table. These have been mostly infantry engagements, but there are a couple of tricks...

1. A meeting engagement where the armies march onto the board on the first turn. This gives you the same four feet to fight across that you might have if you deploy the units on a six foot table.

2. For that matter, you can fight down the length of the table with a scenario that centers on a narrow frontage like a river crossing, exploitation of a gap in an enemy line, or rear guard action.

Again, cavalry and artillery need to be limited in such actions, but my collection is 90% infantry anyway! :D

Thanks for taking up for us!
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:17 am

Clarence,

I live in a flat and hence my table is only 6' x 4' but I wasn't going to give the little sod the satisfaction since he started off in a very negative tone. The board is the GW plastic one and I occasionaly use it for WH40k to keep my two kids happy in the hope of making them real wargamers.

I am building up a French army circa 1680 of Louis XIV and have decided to go with a French division circa 1806 dressed in bicornes and with at least one of the brigades in the white uniform for my Napoleonic contribution; I like being different.

I will be using Front Rank miniatures as the plastics do not have the heft and, as any wargamer over sixty will tell you, they don't fight as well as metal.

Keep well and get the finger out with BtLB II since I know that you are not busy with anything important right now*. :P

Jim

*I mean it's not as if you are making terrain for any major shows or waiting to welcome a certain Scotsman from East Kilbride or anything like that, is it?
Jim O'Neill.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Finally got to read the offending review under the watchful eye of the LoGW 'commitee on Friday night. my comments as follows:

1. On the whole, I found the review reasonably balanced up until the Daily Mail type conclusion where the reviewer's language was un necessary and a cheap shot. I found the reviewer's grasp of Napoleonic warfare a bit patchy too. No idea about the difference between re supplying an artillery battery and refitting an artillery battery. Fundamentally different activities to which reviewer seems blissfully ignorant and got himself a wee bit confused.
2. Poor grasp of mechanisms too. Has obviously set up a few units on a 4 x 4 table and pushed them around for 30 minutes. A strange set up considering the rules are written for Divisional +, ++ and +++ games. Maybe he lives in a cupboard.

3. Does not understand the difference between 'top down' and bottom up' but obviously it sounds good when you write it in an article as it makes you sound like you know what you are talking about and have done a lot of that sort of thing. R2E is outcome driven and focuses on the pre eminent variable of all warfare.. command and control. The mechanisms for most activities including shooting, close combat and morale as so simple as to be almost irrelevant. Again... failure to grasp concept from Bruce and assistant.

4. The mag must be
a. Stuck for copy or
b. Losing money...

It's the only time Editors make ANY contribution to their publications.

5. I know how long it takes to write an article or a review. I'll keep the same piece cooking for weeks sometimes months before I finally submit. Often I can have taken up to 20 visits to a piece before I send it off. The scope of this article was enormous. It tried to compare 4 major rule sets in the same article. This would have included (or should have included) reading up to 300 pages of text, playing repeated games with 4 different set ups and mechanisms, playing the same scenario with each to compare game flow. Truly, I don't think anything like that kind of effort went into it. It looks like a
'Right, there's loadsa Naps rules out.. let's bash out a piece to fill 8 pages' type of review. The comments (even the nice ones) about the other sets could have been picked up trawling various Fora on the Net and do not feature much if any orginal thought or comment. Cut and paste is my conclusion on that.

I would under other circumstances accept most critique whether positive or not (except the drivel you get from some of the addicts on TMP) but in this case I felt Macfarlane and Sidekick's piece was not a planned, even and logic driven piece of writing. For this reason I have posted this long reply.

Just to show I am not a sulky little child whose train set got broken I would say that the issue of MW containing the review was the best I had seen that mag look in years and I would have bought it if I had bothered to pick it up. So well done for pulling a tired, incontinent old lady back from the care home but please, next time you decide to do a hatchet job... at least sharpen your axe and make the cut in the right place Brucie Boy. :wink:

Hope to speak with you sometime

Henry Ford
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:08 pm

B

That last 'posting'.............now that's an 'article'.

It is an accurate, articulate and well thought out 'piece of work'. The 'scathing humour' (that you were totally entitled to script) was both cutting edge and very, very funny.

I'm not one for 'knocking the rock' in the hobby and although I don't wargame under the premiss of 'live and let live', I do believe that MW has become the 'embarrassing old Aunt' of the hobby. The sooner the 'hand of economic recession' confines 'The Old Dear' to the 'care home' it deserves...the better!
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:33 pm

I do think we need a critical voice in this hobby of ours. One that can fairly, accurately and effectively review our rules, terrain , figures, paints and everything else. Most of what you read in reviews in the hobby mags tends to be factual rather than overly opinionated. I actually welcome the move to a more critical style of review in MW even though I may not agree with the conclusions.

I understand fully why reviews to date have been so bland. We are in a hobby with many cottage industry traders and any unhelpful criticism may be unnecessarilly damaging to their business. But we also need to give some better guidance and help to prospective buyers and be able to highlight the differences between rules sets, size compatability for figure ranges, details of sculptors, gaps in ranges, viscosity of paint ranges, delivery and service quality from traders etc.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"