Cavalry versus Squares

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
wkeyser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by wkeyser » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:43 am

Hi Dave
I guess it is the level of detail in battlion formations. I would not use them for larger than Corps size games, probably because I dont have enough people to play that level of game.

The reality is even a skrimish game can be used to play Corps level engagements.

But you are correct you guys do run big games, sorry for that assumption, I guess it is just my take on them.

William
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:57 pm

obriendavid wrote: ...I wonder who wrote it for him ?
I wonder who read it to him?
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
davidsharpe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by davidsharpe » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:30 pm

I m impressed by the quality of this debate, a great moment of anthology.
I agree with William who asked the key questions and showed a masterful knowledge of the subject in historical depth, and Barry offered us an excellent synthesis of the potentialities of his (great) design.

What could be said after that, to add something valuable to the debate ?

First i m going to be concrete, practical:

Imagine you lead a cavalry brigade of 2 cav regiments in battle action:
1 You must stop when you get at charge distance from any enemy unit.
You can t go closer because

2 You must decide to stay here and change orders to DEFEND

3 Or you must change them to ATTACK

If you do, The enemy infantry CAN test on the Threat charge table.
(forming square is possible)

4 Your cavalry MUST charge with one or both cav regiments.

5 The enemy infantry can test “changing formation to receive a charge table” to form square if it failed in 3/.

So what are the probabilities to NOT face a square ?

If Inf is a RECRUIT in line: it s 44% !
In column of attack it s 33%
In column of companies it s 22%

If Inf is DRILLED in line : it s 33%!
In column of attack it s 25%
In column of companies it s 16%

If Inf is VETERAN in line it s 22% !
In column of attack it s 16%
In column of companies it s 11%

My calculation are perhaps wrong (i made them twice) or my rules interprétation could be biaised, somebody will correct me if it is.

Now, Who wants to charge with cavalry a drilled or a veteran infantry ?
Even a Recruit infantry in column would get in square most of the time.

I precise that the tests in 3/ and 5/ don t take care of casualties level of infantry, it means a badly mauled infantry could get in square with the probablities displayed here.

Now we can see that attacking with cavalry is a losing tactic.
Apart perhaps against Recruits nice enough to wait in line.

So, with cavalry you can t move around, because you reach quickly a range distance of 105cm, 90 cm or 75cm from an enemy.
And You can t reasonably charge a square ( as said Ray), so, apart playing Russian “roulette” as Christopher Walken in the “deer hunter” movie from Michael Cimino, you ll stay where you are in defend orders if you are cautious enough to preserve your precious cavalry.
"British infantry ? In Duel, it s the Devil !"
Général Foy to Napoléon in the morning of june the 18th, 1815.
davidsharpe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by davidsharpe » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:22 pm

But, even in square an infantry batallion can lose its nerves and waver or, more rarely, run.

Imagine your cavalry pass the initiate charge test, The question is:
Will the square Weaver ?

Infantry is RECRUIT, supported, and in square
Let s see 3 situations
FRESH MAULED(26 to 50% losses) WRECKED (51 to 75%)
Weaver probabilities
16% 50% 66%

Infantry is DRILLED or RECRUIT ELITE
NONE 33% 50%

Infantry is DRILLED ELITE
NONE 16% 33%

Inf is VETERAN
NONE NONE 16%

Inf is VETERAN ELITE or GUARD
NONE NONE NONE

Conclusion
If the unit is FRESH (No loses to 25%)
Nobody weaver, apart Recruit on 16%

If the unit is MAULED (26 to 50% losses)
Veteran are immune and drilled elite is quite so, only drilled/ recruit elite (33%) and recruit(50%) could weaver.

Even when Wrecked VETERAN are near immune (16%)

It means you should never attack Veteran and better infantry with cavalry.
Even if they are wrecked.

Drilled and drilled elite infantry need to be mauled or (better) wrecked to be attacked by cavalry, and the odds would favor infantry anyway.

Only Recruit units can be attacked fresh, and would weaver on a 50% or 66% if mauled or wrecked.

But i choose a “supported” situation, an isolated batallion (-1 to resolve) would be more in jeopardy. But it s a rare situation in normal play.
In a skirmish scenario it could be possible.

The losses seems to bother low quality units, not good ones.
Why ? Because losses have no impact on square formation tests, only on resolve when charged.
davidsharpe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by davidsharpe » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:21 am

Hello Barry

I have a question about dice calculation in combat.

Two exemples
A 24 models british light dragoons (Drilled elite) charging a square in column of squadrons:
6 dice (number of models) doubled (charging in this formation) so 12, then reduced by 75% for charging a square, so 3 dice ! OK it s easy.

1 But A 24 models Veteran cuirrassier charging a square in column of squadrons:
6 dice (numbers) doubled (charging) so 12, then +2 (veteran) so 14, then +2 (cuirrassier) so 16, then reduce by 75% (charging square) so 4 dice !

2 Or do we calculate ?
6 dice doubled so 12 then reduced by 75% so 3 dice then +2 (veteran) So 5 dice, then +2 (Cuirrassier) +2 so 7 dice!

1 seems more logical but erases the differences between high quality heavy cavalry and average light cavalry (which is quite historical against a square)

2 Gives high quality heavy cavalry an edge over ordinary cavalry against square.

William asked a key question:

The problem is not that square cannot be broken (or very rarely) but the consequences
(in losses to cavalry) of close combat with Square.

Take an exemple: an infantry batallion drilled 24 models in square charged by our cuirrassier.
Infantry has 6 dice
Cavalry has 4 dice (version 1) or 7 dice (version 2)

The problem is not the first round losses but if there is a second round !
Because it would mean at least 8 or 10 losses to cavalry, (4 and 4 or 6 losses)
(yes a possible perfect draw is possible leading to 2 losses, but it would be rare)

A second round would give only 1 die to our cuirrassier (9 dice, 5 +2+2, halved (because disordered so 3 dice quartered so 1 die)
Facing infantry 3 dice
So an unwinnable situation for cuirrassier.
And a losing CC penalty of 4, 6 or 7 losses.

So will our Cuirrassier escape a second “murderous “ Close combat round ?

Surprinsingly our cavalry needs to lose (hit differential of 3 or more) in first round to have to test resolve and perhaps RUN !
But being veteran, (+2) it has only 16% to disengage (50% if it is drilled, 66% if it is recruit)

The lower quality cavalry, the better chance to escape losses in CC.

What are the probabilities to have a test of resolve because a WIN/lose situation
in first round ?
My maths expertise is gone with the wind of time but you need a hit difference of 3 or more.
In our exemple the dice difference is less than 3
4 dice against 6 (version 1)
7 dice against 6 (version 2)

But i can say that most of the time we ll get a draw with a difference of 1 or 2
Leading to NO resolve test for losing CC, and a...second round.

It s what i ve played : most of the time cavalry against square lose nearly half it s strength before disengaging.
A simple CC is breaking cavalry.

Yes, Barry, the possibilities are numerous, but the probabilities favors deeply this situation again and again.

Conclusion
A cavalry attacking has few probabilities to fight an infantry NOT in square,
And very few probabilities to disengage without being badly mauled and useless for the battle.
In game terms, like the missile analogy, Cavalry in RTE looks like a “fire and forget” weapon, with low efficiency.
In historical terms, it s not satisfactory at all, William said us why:
There is never any CC against a square, cavalry “bounce” and evade contact, losses are from fire and few.
you have contact and a real melee when cavalry penetrates the infantry formation,
normally this means infantry is doomed,
but it could become a bloody melee for both infantry and cavalry (as in RTE CC) as in 4 Bras 1815 between 5e lancier and 42nd highland caught in forming square process, cav penetrated the formation, but highlanders kept their nerves and closed the square around a group of lancers !!!
Then killed them all.
Many losses to both lancers and Kilted men. Near 150 for the highlanders, a unknown number for the lancers.
This is the situation simulated by RTE

But This situation was rare, against an already formed square cavalry did never contact it.
Losses would be from infantry fire, and not very numerous because infantry would have few time to fire, few to fire, many bullets would hit the same target (horses are big walls protecting those behind) and moving speedily targets.

Conclusion:

I agree with Ray, Square are immune against cavalry, unless Infantry loses its nerves on resolve test being charged, RTE simulate it in a great way !

But i agree with William, cavalry Close combat against square is not realistic, it s consequences are too bloody for cavalry and for infantry too.
Infantry would have none or very few losses, and cavalry just 2 , maximum 3 losses.

As a player, i would not use cavalry in battle in such conditions, apart keeping them as a menace in being.

D
davidsharpe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by davidsharpe » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:55 am

I think criticics are easy, ther art of design is difficult, so
i send PROPOSITIONS of HOUSERULES in page 1
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:32 pm

David, cavalry will not get wiped out in combat against squares because as soon as they lose a bound of combat which is most likely to be the very first round they have to take a morale test and the best result they can get 4+ is to fall back a full charge move.

As to the rest of your questions about probabilities of troops doing something I prefer to get the toys out on the table roll some dice and have fun as opposed to spend a lot of time on maths working out loads of percentages and probabilities but if that suits you then feel free.
Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:02 pm

Wow... this is why I SUCK as a general in wargames... :D
Churchill
General
General

Cavalry vs Square

Post by Churchill » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidsharpe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by davidsharpe » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Hello David

Maths help to understand what matters.
I want to have fun, like you, playing with our painted armies.
But to discuss rules as we did on that subject, i thought we needed probabilities to know which factors were key factors.

I think i demonstrated that Losses had marginal impact on veterans survivability against cavalry.
Someone (no quote this time) said the contrary, arguing that the solution was to wait that infantry get some losses before charging it.
That s true for recruit ones, less for drilled ones and very marginally for veterans.

I showed too that attacking with cavalry had very few chances to succeed, because square would be formed most of the time, even with Recruits.
But resolve test would give some chances to see Recruit weaver.
So, cavalry is not to be used offensively against drilled and veteran units.

You said that there would be NO 2e round most of the time because Cavalry would lose the first round very often.
I m not sure, because we need a Hit difference of 3 or more to win a round, otherwise it s a draw.
I gave 2 exemples of Close combat, the first with 3 dice (cavalry) to 6
(this one could give Infantry wins most of the time, but the second exemple with veteran cuirrassiers would be 4 dice against 6 (with a draw in most case).
Sorry, i understand that it can be irritating, but maths contradicts what we think.

I have forgotten how to calculate probabilities precisely but many times we find Cavalry stuck in a second round because of a draw, and (as the infantry gets half dice because disordered) a third round.
It disengage when it has lost half its troopers.
It s not allways but it happens frequently.

That s why i proposed another way of fighting this type of situation.
You are not obliged to read it, nor use it, you are free.
But i think this way is more fun to play, more historical and more interesting tactically.

Before exposing it, i had to give some facts '(probabilities) to explain why it wasn t satisfactory.

You can of course think the contrary, David, the debate showed some different way of thinking, it was very interesting.

Sorry Ray, it wasn t technically a quote, just a quick way to express your point of view.
I should have quote the whole part of it, i apologise.

Friendly Yours

D
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Is it just me, or am I detecting a touch of inconsistency from reading two threads, one of which is worried about the complexity of the rules as they stand and the other which is trying to further complicate them?

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun May 01, 2011 4:57 am

CoffinDodger wrote:Is it just me, or am I detecting a touch of inconsistency from reading two threads, one of which is worried about the complexity of the rules as they stand and the other which is trying to further complicate them?

Jim
Well observed Jim :)

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
davidsharpe
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by davidsharpe » Sun May 01, 2011 5:42 am

Hello Jim and Gunther

I sayed the rules were perceived too complex by casual gamers, not that they really were.
They are playable once mastered.

My concern is not to have them less complex, (if i wish i should play Black Powder), but to get them more tactically more historical, with more suspense and get more differenciation of unit capacities.

The result will be more complex, perhaps, but it s house rules, nonbody is obliged to use them.
Less playable ? i don t think so, sometimes it will be the contrary, sometimes not. We ll see when the project will be finished.
Your critics are welcome, you can say you dont like the propositions, and why, even propose another way, it could be interesting.

There are two objectives:
1 Try to get the rules even better with an alternative on some points,
New players (old ones too) having the choice to use RTE TM or RTE alternative.
I think having this alternative should be a + for the newcomer and for the veteran, dont you think so ?

2 Make the rules THE rules of napoleonic period, it s a question of communication on the net.
I cannot do many about it, having no blog.

Friendly yours

D
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun May 01, 2011 10:08 am

davidsharpe wrote: ... Make the rules THE rules of napoleonic period.
To me, they already are.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Sun May 01, 2011 1:32 pm

davidsharpe wrote:Maths help to understand what matters.
... ...i thought we needed probabilities to know which factors were key factors.
Hmmmm... I'm not so sure it does. Sure, you can establish some very broad indications of 'probability' on the battlefield, and all wargame rules are constructed around these generalised notions. But this is a battlefield. The most extreme of confused and frequently random environments. Cool headed probability maths will only get you so far, before 'Chaos Theory' kicks in! Unexpected events a-plenty fill the historical record: from underage French conscripts pressing home a charge in 1814 or the Middle Guard veterans fleeing down the slopes of Mont St Jean. Or how about so called stoic Russians, dying in their ranks and not giving an inch at Eylau and Borodino - but running away in droves at Austerlitz and Friedland?

The best any set of rules can hope to manage is model plausable outcomes as an average but ensure there’s enough random chance factored in to represent the chaos.

To illustrate: So you imply there’s no point in cavalry charging formed infantry regulars or veterans because they will invariably lose? And yet the historical record is littered with examples of Napoloenic cavalry doing just that - and frequently losing! But strangely they still carried on doing it. Perhaps they thought, just this once, we might win. Go figure!

davidsharpe wrote:My concern is not to have them less complex, (if i wish i should play Black Powder), but to get them more tactically more historical, with more suspense and get more differenciation of unit capacities.
You express some interesting ideas David (here and in the other threads), but I'm afraid that last bit sets off warning bells in my head.

I have always been wary of rules that work perfectly well, but then start to add layer upon layer of complexity, exceptions, and sub-clauses in a vain effort to cater for every tactical 'historical' quirk or supposed unit capability / national characteristic. I just don't think it can be done - at least not without creating a set of rules so complicated they border on the unplayable.

Besides, nationality / unit performance can vary from campaign to campaign, even battle to battle, dependent on a myriad of changing influences and circumstances (see my comments above about Chaos Theory. AND – incidentally – they are often highly subjective interpretations). You simply can’t factor it all into a single set of Napoleonic wargames rules. By all means apply ‘plug in’ house rules for specific campaigns or battles if people wish, but I would be carefully about fiddling too much with the basic mechanics.
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/