Which theatre of Naps is most appealing for R2E players?

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Which part of the Naps period attracts you most for R2E games?

Revolutionary Period 1790 -1800
10%
1800 - 1806 The Austerlitz - Jena period
5%
1806-1809 The Wagram Period
10%
The Peninsular
24%
The Campaign of 1812
17%
Befreiungskriege & Fall of France 1813-1814
20%
100 Days Campaign 1815
15%

Total votes: 41
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Which theatre of Naps is most appealing for R2E players?

Post by barr7430 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:29 am

As the weekenders seem to be a popular way to game with R2E I am keen to hear people's preferences with regard to the theatre and period of the Napoleonic Wars that is most attractive to them. This helps planning, collecting and terrain building from my side. I will continue to run the 2 day-ers in Fife and try and develop a gaming group for 1 day-ers at Whitburn.

Here is a chance to post comment, suggestions and express your preference. We have had about 25 different players now I think along to the weekenders with some folks appearing at every event which is really nice. YOUR views are particularly sought! I know there are a lot of people interested who have not yet had a chance to come and many others who'd like an event a little closer to home(wherever that may be) An event in England is a definite maybe at the moment. Venue and logistics are the main challenges... also like to hear from anyone who has a local venue or contact they might want to share... let's see what the Thread produces............
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:56 am

Barry,

I voted for the Revolutionary period but I also like the 1806 period too.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:59 am

I voted for 1809/the Wagram Period, but I also like 1813/1814 in Italy.

Again, there's a wide mix of size of battles (which is ideal), and it's got my favorite General of the period: Eugene de Beauharnais.

Plus the most colorful army of the period - the Neapolitans! (when they're not deserting).
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:56 pm

From my current mountain top posting I'll stick my oar in for the Peninsula.

Purely as its the figures which i am currently collecting. :)

I think the battles would probably lend themselves to the 1 day games better.

Bill
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:29 pm

I has to be post 1813, you get french, polish, italians, spanish, lots of diffrent germans, prusians, austrians, russians, sweeds, you even get to paint a single british rocket battery.

Also if you do campaing, there is a chance of Anglo-Spanish-Portguese army linking up with the germans and russians.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:53 pm

I didn't see a button that said, All of these periods.
Although I picked the 1812 campaign the 1813-14 campaigns are also one of my favourite periods mainly due to the number of nationalities involved on both sides plus lots of dramatic battles to refight.
Cheers
Dave
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:45 pm

I agree with Mr. O'Brien all of the periods have their own appeal.

I voted for the 1813/1814 period as there are many differing size battles to pick from, and a host of nationalities involved.

Also think that peninsular games best suited to 1 day games, but just keep running them both.

Bob
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Yes but an 'all of these' button would not be very helpful when trying to think of the next scenario :roll:

Keep the comments coming because they will have a direct influence on the next couple of events.... ta :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:32 pm

Voted for the Befreiungskriege & Fall of France 1813-1814 period simply because of the nations involved and, as has been said, there is room for peninsular involvement.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi Barry,

I voted for 1812.

Obviously because I have Saxons, Austrians and Russians on my "to do"-list.

1812 has allready all nations involved in dense battles and in smaller engagements. You may see Prussians in 'what-if'- scenarios and Austrians fighting Russians. When, between 1796 - 1815, has this happened if not 1812?

So, no offence intended, but in my humble opinion, 1813-1815 is for all who dont want to fight against a French, equal in quality and quantity and only want to fight the sinking ship "France".(The Vultures are circling)

I never heard anyone fight parts of Austerlitz, Eylau or Friedland or even Auerstadt. All talk about 'what a glorious army that was' but nobody wants to play them. That is why I dismissed my plans for raising Neys VI. Corps, 14000 men, as they stood at Friedland.

Reading my own lines I get the feeling that there are some drops of Neys hot tempered blood flowing in my venous :oops:

Sorry Gents

Günter
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles XII
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Charles XII » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Voted for the Befreiungskriege, what else should one vote for if one lives on a battlefield (Battle of Zahna) from that time? :)
Please Note that there are more importent things in my life than wargaming. So please don´t be angry if it takes some days or weeks until I answer a post, even if I try to answer as fast as possible.
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:35 pm

I voted for the 100 days campaign, mainly because this is what I collect and play myself (thank you Michael and Alan Perry!)

But I'm also interested in the Egyptian campaign, so I guess that would be half a vote on the revolutionary period.
Yggdrasil
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:04 am

MarechalNey wrote:I never heard anyone fight parts of Austerlitz, Eylau or Friedland or even Auerstadt. All talk about 'what a glorious army that was' but nobody wants to play them. That is why I dismissed my plans for raising Neys VI. Corps, 14000 men, as they stood at Friedland.
I've gamed Eylau before using Naps Battles, commanding Augerau's Corps. We stayed in Eylau where it was nice and warm and sheltered from the very inhospitable Russians. I never knew they took such exception to pillaging poor defenseless Prussians!

Heilsberg is another from the 1807 campaign where the French got a bloody nose.

If you want to go early, the 1805 campaign was by no means a foregone conclusion, and some of the campaigns on the Danube before Austerlitz would make excellent battles. I believe Napoleon magazine did an excellent feature on Haslach-Jungingen. The 1805 campaign was redone by the Napoleonic Miniatures Wargame Society of Toronto, and they have their scenarios and outcomes posted.

The only downside is that few manufacturers make winter cavalry or winter officers. Apparently it's only rainy, muddy or cold where the infantry are!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:24 am

Charles XII wrote:Voted for the Befreiungskriege, what else should one vote for if one lives on a battlefield (Battle of Zahna) from that time? :)
I am living and working on the battlefield of Aspern and Wagram but I find the period not satisfactory.
Charles XII
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Charles XII » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:41 am

@MarechalNey

I think the problem is not that a period/battle/campaigne is not satisfactory but rather that the literature about the said period/battle/campaigne is not satisfactory. For me, it helps to search for the original sources, also diaries are the most helpful to get the flair of the period. In example, the literature about the wars of Poland 1648-1666 is not very good (if one reads only German or English) but reading the diary of Rittmeister von Holsten (written in German) was a real eye opener. Assuming that you live in or close to Vienna, there should be a lot of archives close to your home.

Good luck with the research and let us know if you found something interesting :D
Please Note that there are more importent things in my life than wargaming. So please don´t be angry if it takes some days or weeks until I answer a post, even if I try to answer as fast as possible.