Shooting from a Prepared Position?

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Karim
Corporal
Corporal

Shooting from a Prepared Position?

Post by Karim » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:51 am

In the Infantry shooting table, there is a modifier for Shooting from a prepared position ( +2 D6). Is there somewhere where a prepared position is defined?

We had a discussion on the weekend when it came up where there were some diffenent interpretations, but couldn't seem to find it in the book to get clarity.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:50 pm

The best thing to do is agree on terrain before the game starts. In this case, a prepared position should be one readied for defense in advance and probably manned by defenders at the start of the game. This could be a fortification, redoubt, or even a building where units have 'dug in' (prepared loopholes, etc).

In a meeting engagement, a simple stone wall or lonely farm does not count as a prepared position when units hastily take cover behind it. If any of your brigades have pioneer or engineer combat groups attached you could add a house rule that such terrain features could be 'prepared' in say 1d3 turns?

Barry or Dave may have more to add, but that's how I always play...
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Karim,

I'd go with Clarence's explanation 8)
but for the 'record' from an author's point of view here goes:

Prepared position:

BUA(any size), redoubt, trench or fieldwork OCCUPIED from the the beginning of Turn 1 would count as 'prepared'.

Moving up to any BUA(or occupying it during the game) or wall during the battle is NOT a prepared position. Occupying/capturing a trench or earthwork during the game could count as a PP in the turn after occupation if both players agree befroe the game starts.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Karim
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Karim » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:27 pm

Thank you Clarence and Barry for your quick insight into my question. Always a pleasure when you can get such wisdom quickly from the creators.

It makes sense and well put. Even my arch-nemesis (my 11 year old son) accepted the findings with a "fair enough". Sometimes I struggle to explain the ideas in a believable way that counters his questioning mind - "but why?".

Easy job this time.

Thanks again