Austrians for R2E

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Austrians for R2E

Post by BP » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:11 pm

As the Victrix plastics are now released I've been looking at OOB to get an idea of size, and decided to pick a division used in a small skirmish by the name of Leipzig :lol:

2nd Division: Feldmarschal-lieutenant Wimpfen
Brigade: Generalmajor Giffing
1/,2/,3/Froon Infantry Regiment (2,457)
1/,2/,3/De Vaux Infantry Regiment (2,469)
Brigade Battery (8 guns)
Brigade: Generalmajor Czerwenka
1/,2/,4*/,Argenteau Infantry Regiment (2,601)
1/,2/Erbach Infantry Regiment (1,762)
6pdr Brigade Battery (8 guns)

* Landwehr battalion
Now going by the size of some of these units, the majority of the battalions will be 40 strong, with those of the Erbach and Argenteau 44 strong on average.

Looking in the warchest the sizes used in the campaign lists for the 1813 campaign have an Austrian Infantry Division as mainly units of 32.

So my question is what would be best size for use with R2E. Obviously smaller is cheaper and less painting :) But were the Austrian battalions really that strong or does Nafziger have the regimental returns including imaginary soldiers, sick disabled etc. and the smaller size more representative of what actually took to the field?

Thanks

Bill.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Austrians for R2E

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:24 pm

Bill,

A full strength Austrian battalion would be 48 figures in six bases of eight. Then you can remove bases to suit whatever period you are playing. That's what I did with my 36-figure Froggy battalions.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Cheers Jim, so the 40 wouldnt be out of the question then? Damn, more boxes I need to buy ;)

Ohh and just for you Jim, this picture shows the extra MP's the French had some turns over the weekend

So many we had to use Austrian counters :)

Bill
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:02 pm

The only trouble was that there was so much Russian/Prussian cavalry about that they couldn't move to use most of their points but it meant they never had to borrow points from another move to form emergency squares.
Cheers
Dave
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:05 pm

Pikey wrote

" to form emergency squares"

or not in the case of most of my recruit battalions

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
Gerryjd
Captain
Captain

Post by Gerryjd » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:29 pm

obriendavid wrote:The only trouble was that there was so much Russian/Prussian cavalry about that they couldn't move to use most of their points but it meant they never had to borrow points from another move to form emergency squares.
Cheers
Dave
I did and then promptly surrendered after routing the next turn. :shock: Lesson learned . Never leave yourself short of points, and always play on the side with most cavalry!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Gerry
You may call it sarcasm........I, on the other hand, prefer to refer to it as a humorous observation!!! :-)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:30 pm

I see the Honourable Professor Pikey O'Brien is being quoted... a dangerous thing to do! (he'll only twist it and say that I, or a big boy, said it and then ran away!)

Austrians.... I think you should create units that you are happy with the look of Bill. Remember, even if you only painted 32 models you could roster them as 40. The unit numbers are less important in R2E. Do what you think looks nicest! (although the boys at Victrix will undoubtedly be happy with the figure sales) :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:20 pm

barr7430 wrote:I see the Honourable Professor Pikey O'Brien is being quoted... a dangerous thing to do! (he'll only twist it and say that I, or a big boy, said it and then ran away!)
As a published writer I can understand why they would want to quote me :wink:
Cheers
Dave
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:21 am

Taking on board the comments/advice and then going for what looks nicest I think I will go for units 36 strong, on 6 bases of 6, 50x40mm.

So should be able to get 3 battalions from 2 boxes of victrix plastics. I have ordered 1 box in shakos just to get them painted and see what they look and get an idea how long it'll take to paint them.

Thanks

Bill.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:00 am

Dave,
Graffiti on a bathroom wall does not count as published!