New player and fairly new to Napoleonics

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Redburg
Private
Private

New player and fairly new to Napoleonics

Post by Redburg » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:42 pm

Currently I have in my hot little hands Black powder and 4 boxes of the fantastic victrix Austrians :D . I like Black Powder but I do like to look at other rules sets - and I do like the look of republic to empire. So suggestions folks? Is it worth it for me to buy or is it to far over my head?

I am thinking of basing them on 40 x 40mm bases 4 to a base in units of 24.

basically can I play both games, and is this a good game for a beginner?
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: New player and fairly new to Napoleonics

Post by obriendavid » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Redburg wrote:Currently I have in my hot little hands Black powder and 4 boxes of the fantastic victrix Austrians :D . I like Black Powder but I do like to look at other rules sets - and I do like the look of republic to empire. So suggestions folks? Is it worth it for me to buy or is it to far over my head?
I'm obviously biased but if you want a set of rules that reflects Napoleonic warfare the R2E are the perfect set whereas Black Powder has no feel for the period IMHO. As to complexities of R2E I think that old chesnut has finally been put to rest by people that have actually played them. They do look daunting when you first pick them up but most of the text is actually rule explanations and not actually rules that you need to memorise. When we run our R2E weekends complete beginners have managed to pick up the basics of the rules after the first couple of moves. I would start trying the rules with just a brigade of infantry per side to get the hang of them then add in artillery and some cavalry later on. Perhaps others can chip in with less biased comments.
Cheers
Dave
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi, Redburg!

Here is a scenario for beginners that will present an interesting tactical exercise as well as give you a chance to work out the mechanics. Once you grasp the MP's and Orders, you'll find shooting, melee, and morale in R2E fairly straight forward.

There are always folks here on the board to help you through rough spots...
Redburg
Private
Private

Post by Redburg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks chaps its now on my to buy lists! Oh and a quick question from a noob is 24 a good size for Austrian units? as I am thinking of making my French units 16 figures strong.... I have to be penny pinching as I have 7 kids :D
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:03 pm

The R2E rules have been written for fighting on a 1:20 scale and the smallest unit is usually 20 figures strong up to a max size of 50 figures.
You have a couple of choices, you can use a 1:30 scale which would equate quite well with the unit sizes you are talking about but you would need to make sure that all your unit sizes are to that scale and you should alter all the movement and shooting distances to fit in with the new scale but personally I wouldn't bother.
Your other choice is to use the unit with the number of figures you want but record them on the roster sheet as being a bigger unit. As long as both sides are using the same method then there shouldn't be a problem plus it's your game so you can do what you want.
Hope this helps?
Dave
Scruff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Scruff » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:44 pm

penny pinching I know about :)

I know some guys up north have based 4 figures on 50mm x 50mm bases for LaSalle and they don't look too bad en mass. I Prefer the looks of 6 figures per base but its personal preference.

As long as the base sizes are the same, the number of figs dont matter so much

cheers
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:08 pm

A third option is to combine two of your 16 figure battalions together and fight as a whole regiment. You could also do the same with your Austrian battalions if you want but they could also quite happily work with the rules as 24 figure units.
Cheers
Dave