A few rules questions

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

A few rules questions

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 am

There were a few questions from our last game, that I have been meaning to ask for weeks (finally remembered):

1. I number of units are formed upmone behind the other. The first has to check for "morale" and rolls a retreat. The distance of the retreat is greater than the distance to the unit behind it. What does it do? (i) Go back until it touches the friendly unit behind it and stops, (ii) moved through the friendly unit (disordering it) or (iii) move past it if there is enough space?

2. A unit has delpoyed skirmishers. Does it always have to recall them (using a single unit action) or can they (i) pick their skirmishers up on the charge or (ii) charge through their own skirmishers, as long as they remain static?

3. Can lighter artillery fire on the same turn they unlimber? The rules (section on single unit actions) seems to indicate the only horse artillery can do that. On the other hand the QRS indicates that 6pdrs (and possibly 9pdrs... I do not have the QRS at hand right now) are allowed to do so as well. Which one is right?

Thanks in advance,

Burkhard
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Re: A few rules questions

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:53 am

Anyone? I would imagine 1 and 3 not to be too uncommon!

Thanks,

Burkhard
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:23 pm

There were a few questions from our last game, that I have been meaning to ask for weeks (finally remembered):
1. I number of units are formed upmone behind the other. The first has to check for "morale" and rolls a retreat. The distance of the retreat is greater than the distance to the unit behind it. What does it do? (i) Go back until it touches the friendly unit behind it and stops, (ii) moved through the friendly unit (disordering it) or (iii) move past it if there is enough space?

A retreating unit is in Disorder so it may interpenetrate the formed unit behind as well as flooding arround if space permits. If the formed unit is interpenetrated it gets disordered himself for as long as the retreating unit passes through(page 57 Interpenetration).

2. A unit has delpoyed skirmishers. Does it always have to recall them (using a single unit action) or can they (i) pick their skirmishers up on the charge or (ii) charge through their own skirmishers, as long as they remain static?

Skirmishers are not allways recalled, they may stay out as long as required.
Recall as stated with Single unit action. Recall is possible only if the battalions within the Brigade are under ADVANCE, ATTACK of DEFEND order. Multiple Orders may be required to recall them while in Advance/Attack as long as enough MP's are availbable.

3. Can lighter artillery fire on the same turn they unlimber? The rules (section on single unit actions) seems to indicate the only horse artillery can do that. On the other hand the QRS indicates that 6pdrs (and possibly 9pdrs... I do not have the QRS at hand right now) are allowed to do so as well. Which one is right?

Light Foot Artillery (3-6pdr) and Horse Artillery may move and fire. 9pdr are considered as same as 8pdrs and therefore not permitted to move and fires.(Artillery Fire negative modifiers Table Page 72).

I played with this rules only once so far so I may be in error.

Hope this helps anyway,

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:05 pm

14th Brooklyn wrote:There were a few questions from our last game, that I have been meaning to ask for weeks (finally remembered):

Sorry to have missed your post :oops: hopefully these answers and Gunters will help.
As Gunter said, if there is a gap of at least 1" then troops can flow round friendly units otherwise they will burst through and disorganise units behind.

See page 86 charging through skirmishers.
You don't have to spend a point recalling them before you charge they just blend in behind their parent unit.

Only horse artillery can unlimber and fire but currently other light artillery can be manhandled and fired but count a minus for having moved. Hope this helps?

Thanks in advance,
Burkhard
Cheers
Dave
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Günter, Dave... Yes this really cleared things up.

Just two follow-up questions:

Regarding case 1:

The rule Günter quotes seems to indicate that the unit being interpenetrated only gets disordered as long as it is being interpenetraded, or in other words... it stops being disordered once the interpenetration is over. Is that correct?

Regarding case 3:

So if I get it right, horse artillery are allowed to unlimber and fire, while light artillery are only being allowed to be manhandled and fire. Is that correct?

Thank you,

Burkhard
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:13 am

14th Brooklyn wrote:Günter, Dave... Yes this really cleared things up.
Just two follow-up questions:
Regarding case 1:
The rule Günter quotes seems to indicate that the unit being interpenetrated only gets disordered as long as it is being interpenetraded, or in other words... it stops being disordered once the interpenetration is over. Is that correct?
I think you are confusing disorder from crossing linear obstacles where once the unit has completely crossed they are no longer disordered, in the situation where they have been burst through by a routing unit they are disordered until the spend a move and and MP's to reform.

Regarding case 3:

So if I get it right, horse artillery are allowed to unlimber and fire, while light artillery are only being allowed to be manhandled and fire. Is that correct?
That is correct! even being able to be manhandled and fire is too effective and I think had originally only meant to be included for horse artillery. Barry and I did discuss making an amendment to this rule but I can't remember if it was added into the Crimean rules.
Thank you,
Burkhard
If you have any other queries please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.
Cheers
Dave
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:25 am

Thank you Dave! This settled all my remaining questions!

THX,

Burkhard