Support for a newbie

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Support for a newbie

Post by Phil69 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi

Am really impressed with the rules and hope to be giving them a go soon. If I have questions will anyone be able to assist.

Cheers

Phil
toggy
Major General
Major General

Re: Support for a newbie

Post by toggy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:28 am

Absolutely Phil, any questions just hollah.
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:59 pm

Thanks for that much appreciated.
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:29 pm

Hi

Am still reading and hope to have a game in a week or so. What I have spotted and slightly curious about is the charge range of light cav some 42". Given my table is 11 X 5 might have to house rule that down or is that a theoretical that is never achievable because of terrain etc?

Cheers

Phil
Scruff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Scruff » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:12 am

we never really noticed the 42" range during games....

But I have some advice for your first game, esp since you have a really nice sized table,

Don't play with too many troops for your first game. We played with 2 brigades of infantry and a battery per side with no cavalry and as it turned out we were pleased we did as we still got bogged down at times until rule mechanisms "clicked" so to speak.

Next game we got all our toys out and it went great :)

cheers
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:44 am

Phil69 wrote:Hi
Am still reading and hope to have a game in a week or so. What I have spotted and slightly curious about is the charge range of light cav some 42". Given my table is 11 X 5 might have to house rule that down or is that a theoretical that is never achievable because of terrain etc? Phil
Phil, welcome to the forum and hopefully we can answer any queries you might have. With regard to the 42" charge rule the thing to remember is that this charge distance comes after normal movement and if you have enough MP's your cavalry could move a number of times before charging. There are pros and cons to this charge distance, first of all you only get this charge distance if your troops are on attack orders and it allows you to threaten lots of enemy units within that distance. The downside is that if you are on attack orders and an enemy unit is within charge distance then you have to launch a charge and suddenly your light cavalry is now way out in front of your army and probably unsupported. Also starting your charge move from so far away gives your opponent plenty of time to react to your charge so although you have the possibility of such a charge distance I would recommend getting closer to your opponent before changing to attack orders.
I hope this helps?
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:33 pm

Good advice from both previous posts

The Author :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Thanks for that Gents much appreciated.

My opponent and I have this evening started working through the example for, the rule book and have to say have been very impressed with the feel of the rule. Can also see what you mean now about the charge distance above.

Does any one have any good intro level scenarios to include cavalry so we can give that a try as well.

Thanks for the prompt answers though much appreciated.

Cheers

Phil
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:05 pm

Phil

If you go into the warchest section of the website, go to R2E & BLB weekenders, go to page 3 & there are a couple of articles on Genappe, part of the 100 days campaign.

Lots of cavalry involved & will give you a good game.

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:18 pm

Phil, a good way to introduce some cavalry into your games is to start them off table and bring them on as reinforcements, that way they will have to come on under move orders, it's up to you if you also want to bring them on in column of march. This will give your opponent time to try and react to them whilst you're trying to change formation and orders and your opponent would have to do likewise with their cavalry.
Just an idea.
Dave
Phil69
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Phil69 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi Gents

So we are trying the scenario at the back of the book and we have done a run through but now trying it making our own decisions and dice rolls.

I rolled a gifted commander and had 10mp. I used 2 to maintain advance in the first French brigade and then 2 to maintain a the second on advance. I then wanted to order a single unit charge - was within command range of the brigadier. Am I right in thinking it is only 1 mp to do that?

Thanks

Phil
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Phil69 wrote:Hi Gents

So we are trying the scenario at the back of the book and we have done a run through but now trying it making our own decisions and dice rolls.

I rolled a gifted commander and had 10mp. I used 2 to maintain advance in the first French brigade and then 2 to maintain a the second on advance. I then wanted to order a single unit charge - was within command range of the brigadier. Am I right in thinking it is only 1 mp to do that?

Thanks

Phil
Phil, the 2mp's would be fine for each brigade unless the brigadier was a sluggish commander in which case it would cost 3mp's for each brigade order. Sadly for you brigades on advance orders cannot initiate a charge you would have had to change the brigade orders to attack first before you could launch charges. See the description of advance orders on page 38.
If you had changed the brigades orders to attack you would still have to spend mp's to get each unit to charge.

I hope this helps?
Dave