Disorder - should it be removed as a morale modifier??

Feedback and questions from the magnificent 7 Play test groups in Edinburgh, Dumfries, Sweden, Cheltenham, Arizona, Georgia and Florida.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Disorder - should it be removed as a morale modifier??

Post by barr7430 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:12 pm

I have been thinking about Disorder relative to morale and wondering whether it should actually be a morale negative modifier. Units are already being penalised for SHAKEN, RETREAT and ROUT.

Disorder should definitely negatively affect movement, shooting and combat ability but possibly not morale.. what do you think?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:52 pm

The fact that the troops are not in a steady formation I think should affect their morale as well as their ability to fight which was one of the reasons we kept in R2E.

Cheers
Dave
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:09 am

Perhaps only in a morale check if being charged. Disorder is physical and shaken mental. Shaken makes sense to me to be a minus for all morale checks, disorder should only be a modifier if they are about to experience something unpleasant (charge) and because of the disorder they are more likely to think, "maybe we shouldn't be here."
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:58 pm

Although I can see both sides of the issue if you approach it from the gaming side of things then is makes sense to remove the DISORDERED modifier. With the modifier you pretty increase the chances of a unit breaking (or never coming back) if they are in the 'SHAKEN, RETREAT and ROUT' statuses. So, from a purely gaming perspective I would remove it. By doing so it would give that slight chance of allowing more units to recover and come back into action.

Then again, if your belief is the opposite of what I just stated then leave it in.

Greg
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Another perspective Greg is to reduce the minus modifier for Retreating/Routing to -1. This would mean ALL reduced Cohesion states would carry the same modifier -1 (SHAKEN-RETREAT-ROUT)

I have been considering this in line with comments from Steve about how difficult it might be to Rally routed troops particularly Horse who have committed their entire brigade to a close combat and lost. This would mean that the chances of them Rallying would depend on:
Throwing a 6
Having the C in C and/or Brigadier attached.

This is again down to a decision on what one is trying to create:
1. As much realism as possible
OR
2. Fun based on realism!

My instinct is that the former is rather po faced and that the world we live in needs more fun 8)

What say you Funsters out there??

Henry Ford
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:00 pm

Just like the Gendarmerie at Blenheim. Everybody tells how they were routed from the battlefield but they reformed and took part in the fighting later on.

They must of rolled a six, or was it their status as Elite/Guard :roll:

cheers
Edward
Last edited by Captain of Dragoons on Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:08 pm

Obviously both Edward :wink:

Henry Ford