Casualty Removal.

Feedback and questions from the magnificent 7 Play test groups in Edinburgh, Dumfries, Sweden, Cheltenham, Arizona, Georgia and Florida.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Casualty Removal.

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:22 pm

Gentlemen,

I've been playing around with both BtLB and RtE over the Easter weekend and want to make sure I have this right. It concerns both systems but I have posted it here only rather than make a double post.

1) A standard BtLB unit of 18 figures in three stands has taken throughout the game eight casualties. No stands are removed as the 50% criterion has not as yet been met. Would I be correct in assuming that it can still fire and melee with all three stands using the appropriate half-stand modifier?

2) An RtE unit of 24 figures with six combat groups has taken throughout the game eight casualties. No stands are removed as the 50% criterion has not as yet been met. Would I be correct in assuming that it can only fire and melee with four combat groups even though six are still represented on the table?

I think I have it right but, I would rather be absolutely sure.

Regards,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Jim
Would I be correct in assuming that it can still fire and melee with all three stands using the appropriate half-stand modifier?
In short no.

In BtLB once a 3 stand battalion looses 8 figures (one stand + 2 figures) you roll on the 2 stand column. Because the second stand has not lost 1/2 of it's figures there are no other modifiers. Loosing 1 more figure will give the -1 modifier for half stand but still roll on the 2 stand column.

That help?

Joe
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Joe,

Thanks. Just shows you how I think that I have the rules under control but, because I play solo, I can have a misconception ingrained into the way I play.

Once again, thanks,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

Casualty Removal.

Post by Churchill » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi Jim & Joe,

I maybe wrong, but acording to Page 21 of BtLB rules under the heading Removal of Casualties it states "Casualties should not be removed from the table until a battalion or squadron has received 50% losses.
This means a battalion of 18 (3 stands) would not remove a stand until 9 casualties were received.
Infantry modifier's are :-
Morale - 1 lost one stand of figures, -2 lost two stands of figures.
Melee -1 50% or more casualties on one stand.
Firing -2 If losses equal to or greater than 50% of a stand.

I'll pass on the R2E part of the question as I haven't played these yet. :wink:

Regards........Ray.

flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:34 pm

My answer was for the v.2 rules without benefit of having the rules handy. Jims question was more about how many stands got to shoot/fight than when to remove them. Looked like he had a grasp on that.

I too have to defer to the RtE question since I don't have those rules. Blasphemy I know...
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Casualty Removal.

Post by obriendavid » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:39 pm

CoffinDodger wrote:Gentlemen,
2) An RtE unit of 24 figures with six combat groups has taken throughout the game eight casualties. No stands are removed as the 50% criterion has not as yet been met. Would I be correct in assuming that it can only fire and melee with four combat groups even though six are still represented on the table?
Jim
Jim, you are correct with your thoughts on the R2E situation. Basically you should record casualties on your roster sheet and that would also show how many combat groups you have remaining.

I can't answer the BLB question at the moment as a friend has my copy of the rules.

Cheers
Dave
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:24 pm

A BLB unit which has lost 8 casualties fires with 2 stands. if it had lost 9 figures it would still fire with 2 stands. If it has lost 10 figures it fires as 2 stands but with the extra modifier for having lost more tnasn 50% of a stand.
cheers.
Churchill
General
General

Casualty Removal.

Post by Churchill » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:31 am

Hi j1m,

I may have misinterpret the BtLB rules, but to me the way it reads is that a battalion of 18 which has lost as you say 8 casualties, fires with all 3 stands as the 50% criterion has not been reached, but does receive a -2 when firing as a stand has losses equal to or greater than 50% of a stand.
If the battalion loses a futher casualty (making 9) it only fires with 2 stands as the battalion having received 50% casualties now removes a stand.When firing, the 2 stands fire, but again with a -2 modifier as again a stand has lost 50%.
Unsure if it's the whole battalion that fires with the -2 or just the stand with the 50% losses :?: and the other stand fires at full effect :?:
I'm a bit rusty as I haven't played these rules in a while.
Roll on the release of BtLB2 when hopefully everything will be explained better.

Regards......Ray.

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:34 am

Guys,

when 6 models are lost a stand is lost. That means the unit fires with 2 stands - no negative mods.
If it has 3 stands on table but half of a stand(3 models) is lost it will take the modifier for losses to the stand.

Casualties come of at half strength (I know in Dumfries casualties stay on until the unit is gone!).
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:36 am

Hi Ray. Just had a re read and notice that it is now half or more of a stand at -1.
So 9 figures fire as 2 stands with a -1 modifier.Not 1 + 1 stands.
if you follow what I mean
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:49 am

barr7430 wrote:Guys,(I know in Dumfries casualties stay on until the unit is gone!).
Barry and Guys,

Thanks for the explanations (By Jove, he's got it!) and I like the Dumfries idea. I didn't paint up all those figures not to be able to look at them for as long as possible.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.