28mm Miniatures for Wars between 1735 - 1756

This forum section is open to posts, questions and comments on conflicts between the end of the Great Northern War and the start of the French Revolution. So, Austrian Succession, SYW AND AWI affecionados .. this is for you!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

28mm Miniatures for Wars between 1735 - 1756

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:50 am

Dear Friends,

Can someone point me to a manufacturer who has Miniatures for the timeline of 1735 - 1756 in its program?

To tell the truth I cought a nasty bug ... again! :twisted:

Currently I study the Book " The Saxon Army of the Austrian War of Succession and the Seven Years War" by Dr. Stephen Summerfield.

I found in it the intriguing line
"1743 the Saxon Army had a Strenght of 45.000 men" :D

Any Help will be much apreciated!

Thank You!

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: 28mm Miniatures for Wars between 1735 - 1756

Post by Dfogleman2 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:10 pm

Eureka has a dedicated line of Saxons that they say are for the SYW but are actually more correct for the WAS. They are great. Minden's SYW Prussians and Austrians should work fine. Some of Minden's SYW French figures should work. Cran Terra's '45 Campaign figures have British in the 1740's regulation dress and French as well, so they would be perfect. Cran Terra and Minden are by the same designer and are both compatible with the Eureka Saxons. I have four Regiments of Saxon cavalry in my otherwise all Minden Austrian army.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:15 pm

Great Info!
Thank You Danny!

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:27 am

Dfogleman2 wrote:Eureka has a dedicated line of Saxons that they say are for the SYW but are actually more correct for the WAS.
What were the main differences? (I'd love to get more use out of my Eureka Saxons... :wink: )
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:45 am

Adam Hayes wrote:...What were the main differences? (I'd love to get more use out of my Eureka Saxons... :wink: )
Do You have pictures of "Your" Saxons?

Historical View:
Since the Saxons changed their Uniform Colour from Red to White in 1734 and you are not a "Button-Counter" you have the following theaters.

1735 - 6.000 Saxon under Eugene along the Rhine
1737 to 1740 - 8.000 Saxons in Imperial Service against the Turks
1740 - 1st Silesian War - 7.000 Saxon Horse in Poland
1741 - Invasion of Bohemia - 24.000 Saxons
1741 - and Moravia - 34.000 Saxons
1743 to 1745 - 2nd Silesian War - Prussia Invades Austria, Saxons fight alongside Austria - 45.000 Saxons in Defence of Bohemia, Battles like Hohenfriedberg, Soor and Kesselsdorf

I think that gives some chances for "Wars" :D

Cheers,
Günter

Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:13 am

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:27 am

Thanks for the link Danny!

After Your first answer I started to write down a "beginners" batch to be ordered from Eureka. I target well over the 300AU$ with a few Infantry Regiments and 1 Cuirassier Regiment.
The good thing is that I can use two types of my Napoleonic gun models for this timeline, the Geschwindgeschuetz and the yet to come 24pdr Siege guns.

Thanks again for your help.

Günter

Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:Thanks for the link Danny!

After Your first answer I started to write down a "beginners" batch to be ordered from Eureka. I target well over the 300AU$ with a few Infantry Regiments and 1 Cuirassier Regiment.
The good thing is that I can use two types of my Napoleonic gun models for this timeline, the Geschwindgeschuetz and the yet to come 24pdr Siege guns.

Thanks again for your help.

Günter
They sell Dutch for the WAS, too.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:33 am

Once again Thank You Danny!

Just sent an Order to Eureka over AU$ 500 for 1 (32 Figs.) Cuirassier Regiment and 1 (84 Figs.) Infantry Regiment. 2 Battalion gun Crews and 2 Regimental Command Stands making up for the complete Picture!

Cheers,
Günter

Rohan Wilmott
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Rohan Wilmott » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:00 pm

Hello, Günter.

I wish you well with the Eureka figures. I have a unit of the Chevau Leger von Brühl from this range, as well as the Hussars, and also foot & mounted Arquebusiers de Grassin (sort of a must have unit for Old School Gamers :D ). These latter are in the WAS listing - you will have seen that this range also has a 3pdr battalion gun & an Austrian 6pdr.

Nic Robson is a great guy to deal with, and I trust you saw the discount scheme (20% off for orders over $300). The figures are slightly bigger than Minden, though as separate units they are quite acceptable. The figures generally don't require all that much cleaning up either.

By the way, where did you get the Geschwindgeschuetz? Was it from Zinnfiguren?

Cheers, Rohan.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Rohan Wilmott wrote:Hello, Günter.

.........By the way, where did you get the Geschwindgeschuetz? Was it from Zinnfiguren?

Cheers, Rohan.

Hello Rohan!

No, I got the Geschwindgeschuetz from my Napoleonic Saxons, made by Steve Barber. We took the drawings in part from Rouvroy and Norman Swale's drawings, out from Dr. S. Summerfield book about the Saxon Artillery.

Pictures of them are to be seen here:

They are on sale and in scale to 28mm Figures.

Cheers,

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:46 am

Today I got my package from Australia posted on Thursday last week!

It contains besides of 2 Battalions Infantry, a Regiment Cuirassiers and Artillerymen also a sample package of Saxons in Austrian Service!

A very nice and swift service!
Faster than some English and American Companies :roll:

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:47 am

Friedrich August I. wrote:Today I got my package from Australia posted on Thursday last week!

A very nice and swift service!
Faster than some English and American Companies :roll:
I've had the same situation with another Australian supplier in the past, the British distributer was going to take at least 2 weeks to send the stuff out to me so I ordered from Oz and got it within a week and the postage wasn't too expensive either.
Cheers
Dave