guards brigade in the american war of independence

This forum section is open to posts, questions and comments on conflicts between the end of the Great Northern War and the start of the French Revolution. So, Austrian Succession, SYW AND AWI affecionados .. this is for you!
turrabear
Major General
Major General

guards brigade in the american war of independence

Post by turrabear » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:43 am

would the brigade of guards which fought in the american war of independence have carried colours. if so which guard regiment would they have belonged to as if i remember correctly the guards brigade was made of of units from the 3 guards regiments.
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Re: guards brigade in the american war of independence

Post by Clibinarium » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:19 am

This article is very useful on the guards companies sent to America;
http://military-historians.org/company/ ... guards.htm

Its generally thought that they would not have carried any of the regiment's colours with them to America.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:51 am

Clibinarium wrote:This article is very useful on the guards companies sent to America;
http://military-historians.org/company/ ... guards.htm

Its generally thought that they would not have carried any of the regiment's colours with them to America.
once again many thanks cilibinarium for taking the time to answer my questions
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:59 pm

Whilst it is indeed unlikely that any set of colours was carried, because the brigade consisted of detachments from all three regiments, there is a story that the Major's (third King's) colour and one company colour from the 3rd Guards made it over the Atlantic. I have never been able to find the source of this, but you may come across it in books on the subject of AWI flags (Ed Richardson's "Colors and Standards of the American Revolution" for example), and I know at least one 28mm flag manufacturer makes this set. It is possible that they went out with the Composite Brigade in 1776, but were brought home soon after because so many British regiments decided not to carry their flags on campaign.
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:07 am

thank you for your help. I've decided not to use a flag for my guards brigade. I've given you a pm I hope that is okay with you.