Your suggested rules

This forum section is open to posts, questions and comments on conflicts between the end of the Great Northern War and the start of the French Revolution. So, Austrian Succession, SYW AND AWI affecionados .. this is for you!
flick40
Major General
Major General

Your suggested rules

Post by flick40 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:41 am

What rules set do you like and find best replicate the WAS and SYW? Consider 15mm 18-24 man battalions, 12 man horse regt. Don't want fast play nor interested in Empire like complexity and math gymnastics.
Thanks for your input

Joe
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Your suggested rules

Post by obriendavid » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:12 pm

The only rules I've used for those periods were the WRG 1688-1782? rules and Koenig Krieg. I wasn't too impressed with the WRG rules but enjoyed KK as long as you weren't facing Prussians led by Freddy. I believe they have recently launched an updated version of KK but I have no idea what differences they have made.
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:06 pm

The only rules I had played with 15mm SYW was "Warfare in the Age of Reason".
http://www.emperorspress.com/home/rules ... -of-reason

Fairly useable without to much depth but with a large figure man ratio; 1:50 I believe. We had 12 Minis in a Battalion and 12 to 15 Minis in a Horse Regiment.
It supplied also a small Campaign game generating battles named "Sport of Kings".

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:39 pm

I too played KK before this new version, 3 I think, and enjoyed them then. AoR was my first set and it is a hodge podge of various rules and ideas poorly researched but seem to be a favorite of many. I never played the WRG version but I do have them. I tried Angus' set, Krieg Kunst, but he seems to have stopped supporting them. An errata sheet has long been promised. Sad for as much as he likes the period.

Thanks for your inputs
Joe
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:05 pm

flick40 wrote: I tried Angus' set, Krieg Kunst, but he seems to have stopped supporting them. An errata sheet has long been promised. Sad for as much as he likes the period.
Joe
Although he wrote the rules Angus could never remember them and depended on his rules monkey Dougie, he now uses Black Powder instead. I had forgotten I had tried those rules and wasn't impressed with them, I do remember that infantry seemed to get destroyed quite easily by frontally charging cavalry which didn't seem to happen historically from my limited knowledge of the period and very little seemed to happen with infantry v infantry firefights.
Cheers
Dave
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:03 am

I am a fan of Habitants and Highlanders myself. It's designed for fighting the French and Indian War, but the big battle rules mechanics work well for Europe with one or two modifications. The only real hitch is the need to provide morale ratings for European troops.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Prince Henry
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Prince Henry » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:21 am

My two cents - I have played AoR and own several other rule sets - but my pick has been Koenig's Krieg since the original edition many years ago. The newest iteration has been updated quite a bit with a more sophisticated point system and more in-depth army lists plus color graphics and photography. The basic rules are essentially the same as the original with more explanations and a few additions - but still of medium complexity. Unit size is from 12 figs for the average infantry or cavalry unit to up to 30 for special cavalry units (Prussian Bayreuth Dragoons or some other especially large or barbarian units). There are siege rules and campaign rules - not yet in the new edition though campaign maps are available.

I found AoR to be limited in detail , though the campaign system (with slight modifications) and battlefield generator were quite good.

Doug
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt