War of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth (1648–1764)

This forum section is open to posts, questions and comments on conflicts between the end of the Great Northern War and the start of the French Revolution. So, Austrian Succession, SYW AND AWI affecionados .. this is for you!
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:52 am

Lots more photos uploaded at http://www.victorian-steel.com/

From the 17th century, the nobles' democracy, experienced devastating wars and fell into internal disorder and then anarchy, and as a result declined. The once powerful Commonwealth had become vulnerable to internal warfare and foreign intervention.

screen shot pc

how do you print screen

In 1648 the Cossack Khmelnytsky Uprising engulfed the south and east of the vast Polish–Lithuanian state, and was soon followed by a Swedish invasion, which raged through core Polish lands. Warfare with the Cossacks and Russia left Ukraine divided; the eastern part, lost by the Commonwealth, became a dependency of the Tsardom of Russia.

img

free image host

John III Sobieski, who fought protracted wars against the Ottoman Empire, revived the Commonwealth's military might once more. In one decisive engagement he helped in 1683 to deliver Vienna from a Turkish onslaught.

capture

upload images free

Further disintegration followed nevertheless. The Commonwealth, subjected to almost constant warfare until 1720, suffered devastating population losses and massive damage to its economy and social structure. The economic regression had not been fully compensated for the duration of the Commonwealth's existence. The government became ineffective because of large scale internal conflicts (e.g. Lubomirski's Rokosz against John II Casimir and rebellious confederations), corrupted legislative processes (such as the infamous use of the liberum veto) and manipulation by foreign interests. The nobility class fell under control of a handful of powerful families with established territorial domains, the urban population and infrastructure fell into ruin, together with most peasant farms.

The reigns of two kings of the Saxon Wettin dynasty, Augustus II the Strong and Augustus III, brought the Commonwealth more political damage and little meaningful reform. The Great Northern War, a period seen by the contemporaries as a passing eclipse, may have been the decisive blow that critically weakened the Noble Republic. The Kingdom of Prussia became a strong regional power and took Silesia from the Habsburg Monarchy. The Commonwealth-Saxony personal union, however, gave rise to the emergence of the reform movement in the Commonwealth, and the beginnings of the Polish Enlightenment culture.

Scenery - miniatures GWS
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: War of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth (1648–1764)

Post by obriendavid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:03 am

Very nice Malc and an unusual war gaming period.
Cheers
Dave
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:45 pm

Thanks Dave, saw you at the Partizan on Sunday, was talking to some guy when i saw you then i forgot to come over as my mate shouted me to get over to warbase, sorry about that was'nt ignoring you in anyway, just got so distracted in the place.

Only stayed about two hours i thought it was poor the show this year, no where to drink your tea or eat unless you wanted a Sunday lunch, even walking around with a cup of tea, no bins ? ended up taking it back to the car, think it could be the last time i go to Partizan just was'nt impressed with it.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:34 pm

nevermore wrote:Thanks Dave, saw you at the Partizan on Sunday, was talking to some guy when i saw you then i forgot to come over as my mate shouted me to get over to warbase, sorry about that was'nt ignoring you in anyway, just got so distracted in the place.

Only stayed about two hours i thought it was poor the show this year, no where to drink your tea or eat unless you wanted a Sunday lunch, even walking around with a cup of tea, no bins ? ended up taking it back to the car, think it could be the last time i go to Partizan just was'nt impressed with it.
The show seemed even darker than usual this year and it was really bad organisation that they ran out of food by 1pm. I think the Sept show will be the last one there then a new brighter venue hopefully.
Cheers
Dave
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:40 am

Do you guys keep a small army of painting slaves? I really like the clean, consistent style of your figures and the size of the games is always impressive. How do you manage it ?
As ever , excellent
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:37 am

Hi Jim mate how you doing, the Polish army is Steve Mercer from the club proberly our best painter who paints every night for 2 hours but take a long time to get the regiment done to perfection.

Me i'm proberly the speed painter, i have no problem painting a regiment in 2 days, 24 figures to a regiment, my painting is pretty good standard, i tend to paint with needles believe it or not, and i've just painted up 2 regiments for the Schlegwig Holstein war in 3 days, about 3 hours a day.

This is my work, no matter what i do i just do it fast and don't really think about it, this is the Stalingrad sewers in 28mm, all the brickwork,pipes ect i just created and fixed it all together out of foam board, each corridor is 12 inch long by 3 inch height, proberly took me 90 minutes to create a corridor and paint, its massive and it can create a different sewer maze each time put together.

Now in the process of building the Delhi gate and how it really looked, thats a challenge i look forward to.

screen shot windows 7

image hosting

free picture upload