Configuration of Foot regiments

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Configuration of Foot regiments

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Kevin and I enjoyed an excellent game of VWQ the other week and I'm now busy painting up my own forces.

I'm interested in how you are all organising and basing up your foot regiments, especially as we end up having a LOGW ECW battle sometime in the future. I was thinking of 36 man regiments, 12 pikes flanked by 2 x 12 musketeers with six figures to a base on 40mm wide x 60mm deep bases. Any comments?
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:22 pm

Peter, I haven't tried Clarences rules yet but all my figures and Angus' are based four figures on a 40x40 base and I had thought about using three of these bases to match one of Clarences. The advantages from my point of view is that I could use Clarences rules but also the Perfect Captain rules which all the guys at the Edinburgh club use.

Cheers
Dave
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:24 pm

unless you're going to fight on a massive table,i would keep your regiment sizes down to three bases as the norm with maybe the occasional four.An extra half base of pike behind the front base looks quite good but has no effect gaming wise.

iain
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:00 pm

I am reliably told by the man himself that the basing configuration for VWQ comes directly from the way my own TYW collection was organized and based(and can still be seen in the gallery although I no longer have it) many years ago. That was before CH and I were partners in crime and just admirers of each other's work.
It was based on the 60 x 60mm 2 wings of shot and centre stand of pikes. I know David Imrie and others now favour larger units which in my opinion always look good but I think it is unlikely that the forthcoming VWQ will change the existing basing style and unit size,, but then again,,, you'll need to aks Clarence :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:49 am

I hope you do'nt change the basing configuration as one of the beuties of vwq is the regiment size as it allows the game to flow,unlike systems with large regiment which normally get bogged down with lead regiments fighting and the rest being bystanders.

iain
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 am

Wouldn't be my intention Iain.. I always loved that basing method! :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:50 am

I won't be changing the basing method, but there's absolutely no reason you can't use any size you units you like and simply resort to a roster (three or four 'blocks' per foot unit) and change the movement and firing distances to match. If you have a 6x12' table (ba$tard$) you could easily field units of 36 models.

My plan is to maintain the core rules as much as possible (with more explanations and examples), fix or add a few things that have come up often in the past (and exposed by playtesting - I already have a list and we'll do some 'official' playtesting when it gets that far along), and swipe some things from BLB (variations on FIBUA which is about the best I've seen in ANY wargame, an alternate and optional command system for those who HATE card mechanics, etc).

Might start work on this next year. My silly day job has become a monster over the last two months and my painting, gaming, and web presence have suffered as a result. Most of my free time is taken with BLB and it's frustrating because things have been moving at a snail's pace. I just simply haven't had time to sit down and work for more than an hour or two at a time and it's hard to make any progress at that rate.

I have a ten-day vacation starting in two days and plan to spend as much of it as possible at my computer!