On Croats and their ilk....

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

On Croats and their ilk....

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:15 am

Hi folks,
Following Warlords release of the plastic TYW figures a few of us at my local club are about to make a foray into that period using VWQ.

One type of unit we will be using will of course be Croats and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to represent these chaps on the table?

We're thinking :-

* 2 figures to a base
* 10" movement
* Light cavalry with fire arms may shoot mounted or charge
* May evade heavier horse without disorder
* Shoot and melee with 2D6
* -1 in melee against heavier horse

Special Rule - Light cavalry within 1 move of a camp, baggage train unit or unoccupied village will immediately move towards it and start looting. Must take a morale throw to rally.

Any Thoughts?

Once we've got these guys sorted the next task will be to work out rules for Lapps mounted on Reindeer...... :wink:
All the Best

The Emir
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: On Croats and their ilk....

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Bumping this I know....but we had a game last night where we used the amedments to good effect.

Pappenhiem's Croat's lurked around the flank of my Swedish horse. Some mounted skimishing between the units occurred and one Croat unit was driven off.

Can someone tell me - did the Swedes have anything similar to the Croats? Finns? Mercenary Poles?
All the Best

The Emir
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:10 am

Oooo - take lots of notes. I know very little about that theater, but VWQ should work well for it.
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:19 pm

I'm sorry I don't know a hell of a lot about it either!! But I sure am having a good time gaming it!

What we've tried to do is get a unit who are very annoying and likely to get in round your flanks and into the baggage, but are likely to leg it if faced down by heavier horse.

So far it's worked. Now I need a counter to them!
All the Best

The Emir
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:04 am

Emir of Askaristan wrote:Hi folks,
Following Warlords release of the plastic TYW figures a few of us at my local club are about to make a foray into that period using VWQ.

One type of unit we will be using will of course be Croats and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to represent these chaps on the table?

We're thinking :-

* 2 figures to a base
* 10" movement
* Light cavalry with fire arms may shoot mounted or charge
* May evade heavier horse without disorder
* Shoot and melee with 2D6
* -1 in melee against heavier horse

Special Rule - Light cavalry within 1 move of a camp, baggage train unit or unoccupied village will immediately move towards it and start looting. Must take a morale throw to rally.

Any Thoughts?

Once we've got these guys sorted the next task will be to work out rules for Lapps mounted on Reindeer...... :wink:
I think there should be a chance the lighter horse evading can be caught by the heavier - or that the unit loses it's cohesion in the feigned retreat. It's a very tricky thing to time it right to fire and get out of dodge before they can squish you - or to take a unit that's running as fast as it can and get it back into good order! Since Croat horse are not necessarily that less encumbered than their opponents, it's entirely possible that a charge against the Croats would catch them if they lingered too long. Similarly, given the lower level of discipline, it's entirely possible that evading Croats may just decide they've done their bit!

Might of Arms allows lighter horse to evade heavier ones, but it's possible to catch them if you end up within a certain distance and roll a 1 on a d6. So light cav will generally get away, but it's not guaranteed.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:03 am

Thanks for the comment.

VWQ does allow evading units to be caught by charging opponents so it's already a possibility. We didn't want to penalise the Croats by making them become shaken if they do evade because we thought it was a natural function of them to be able to turn and run without disintegrating as a unit.

However we've only played a couple of games with them and they're annoying - which is exactly the effect we're trying to get.
All the Best

The Emir