Using VWQ for 16th century games

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Using VWQ for 16th century games

Post by Bluebear » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:52 am

I have just started a semi-solo VWQ game using Imagi-Nations (fictional countries) and set in the 16th century . . . because I have appropriately based troops for that period and none for the ECW.

I say semi-solo because I've got a couple of games (one in Nova Scotia and one in British Columbia) emailing me their orders.

Because of surgery earlier this year and that I'm undergoing a long stretch of chemotherapy that has me with a weakened immune system and crushing fatigue I'm currently unable to host any games . . . but I can fit in an occasional few minutes to play solo (keeping my Canadian gamers' orders in mind).

I've just started a blog on this project, which you can find here:

http://alpianwars.blogspot.ca/.

-- Jeff
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Using VWQ for 16th century games

Post by Bluebear » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:51 am

We are now in the early phases of our second game in this 16th century VWQ mini-campaign using a pair of Imagi-Nations. The on-going blog covering the action can be read here:

http://alpianduchy.blogspot.ca/

I have made a few adjustments to the rules:

Both armies have "Swordsman" units. Since "Foot" cannot charge steady foot, they are pretty helpless . . . so I've essentially allowed them the "calvalry charge rules" . . . in other words they need to pass a morale test to charge steady foot.

I've also changed the courier. It was too easy for him to die and he didn't move very quickly. So I simply changed the d6s to d8s. Now he travels 3d8" unless there's a double (in which case his messge does not arrive).

I've also ruled that a unit in March or Road Column may not charge. I suspect that this is Clarence's intention, but it is not in the rules.

-- Jeff
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Nice, Jeff!

And yes there is a lot that's not in the rules! I have some updates and changes but somehow VWQ keeps getting pushed back. I just have too many projects I'm juggling. Also to be honest, the Glorious Revolution has sort of replaced my interest in the ECW, at least for now. I can't seem to get back into writing for it.

One of these days...
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Jeff,
Sounds like a great idea.
I'd been considering (yeah...like Wargamers do...!) something similar using leftover old style plastic warhammer empire landsknechts.

My own Beer Wars campaign set in the 17th C is due to kick off after the Xmas break, so perhaps after that.

Off to have a look at your blog.

Best wishes.

The Emir.
All the Best

The Emir
Antioch
Private
Private

Post by Antioch » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:47 pm

Jeff

Nice to read your mini campaign posts. We have been playing with a modified VWQ Rules after a game with some difficulties. So we are tinkering a bit as well.

When your health gets better I would like to invite you over to the mainland for a game!

Clarence has inspired an ECW revival in two provinces & one state in the Pacific NW.

Regards. Bob
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Bluebear » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:41 am

Bob,

What problems did you encounter? And how did you rule on them?

Also what size game did you have? How many units and how many players?

Quite a while back we had a four-person game and I designed the "unit cards" to activate two units on the same side . . . one for each player.

Sometimes it was two infantry units, sometimes two mounted units but usually one of each. "Commander Cards" were NOT duplicated. This worked quite well I thought.

I'm afraid that it will probably be well into next year before I even begin to feel semi-normal again. I will be taking chemotherapy into February at least . . . *sigh* . . . it is very hard to understand just how debilitating it really is. I run out of breath just walking from one room into another.

But hopefully we will be able to get together at some point.

-- Jeff
Antioch
Private
Private

Post by Antioch » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:51 am

Jeff

I think we have played about 4 games. I think the biggest was 5 players.

Problems .... Some with the brevity of the rules, so we added explanations in. We added a factor for a pure flank attack. Not sure I remember all.. But mostly clarifications.

I think the biggest game had about 5 inf rgt's & about 6 cav sqn's a side with a single gun.

I have gone through my own version of that kind of problem.. Stay healthy & the best of the holidays.

Bob
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Bluebear » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:35 pm

I believe that we may have reached the conclusion of our second battle in this mini-campaign. To see the latest, go to:

http://alpianwars.blogspot.ca/2013/01/i ... alpia.html

-- Jeff