Alternate VWQ Figure Basing

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Alternate VWQ Figure Basing

Post by Bluebear » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Those of you who might have looked in on my "The Alpian Wars" mini-campaign might have noticed that my Pike & Shot units have a different number of figures per stand than what Clarence calls for:

http://alpianwars.blogspot.ca/

Yes, I know that I'm using the rules for 16th rather than 17th century, but the base sizes (60mm square) are the same.

And while my choice was in part dictated by my available troops, I would do the same thing if starting from scratch for the ECW.

Instead of 6 figures per stand (i.e., 18 per unit), I feel that the pike should be more densely packed than the shot . . . so I use 5 shot per stand (in a "W" formation) and 8 pike/command (in a 3-2-3 pattern). To me this looks better on the table top . . . and it is actually the same number of figures (18) per unit.

Think about it a bit . . . doesn't this look better to you too? And it doesn't change the game one iota. It can also be used against a more traditionally based army without difficulty.

Try it, you might like it.

-- Jeff
Antioch
Private
Private

Re: Alternate VWQ Figure Basing

Post by Antioch » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:58 am

Ah ... I added a 3rd line of pike in some of my inf rgt's.. They serve no purpose other then to let me add another flag to the block... I find from a distance the extra flags add nicely to the game.... Also a chance to expand & add a 4th or 5th captains flag which isn't normally seen.

It also makes a nice contrast with a few inf rgt's that are on the regular bases.. Others in the group liked the effect & started to do this as well.

Bob
quindia
General
General

Re: Alternate VWQ Figure Basing

Post by quindia » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Yep - the number of models per base matters not a whit...

If you look through my ECW units, you'll see some shot stands with only five models, while most of the pike stands have seven models. That was as many of the Artizan/Renegade as I could cram onto a 60x60mm stand! You could easily fit nine Foundry ECW models/base...