Battle of Stratton

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
skippy01

Battle of Stratton

Post by skippy01 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:18 am

We have had our first go at using VWQ for the battle of Stratton. As a guide we used the scenario for Stratton found in the WECW yahoo group. Next time we will use Cavaliers ecw scenario books.

We made up the cards map and unit markers so if anyone is interested in them just PM me.

We added two house rules (more to fit the scenario as designed than anything else)
The Parliaments foot units are large so when they take their first casualty they still fire and melee without the -1 pip. When they suffer two then it is -2 pips
The Cornish foot are stubborn, this allows them to charge unshaken foot.

We had a lot of fun. I know Clarence is onto the Glorious Revolution, but there is something about these rules they work really well. Plus we had one event card turn, roll 66, then Hopton's regiment was drawn and rolled a 6!!! changed sides, but still the battle went to the royalists. Whats not to like that fun. A war without and enemy.
quindia
General
General

Re: Battle of Stratton

Post by quindia » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:08 pm

Glad you enjoyed them... haven't abandoned publication (in fact I have a new much edited version), but Barry and I have so many projects on the go and it is difficult to find time for everything I want to pursue. My own preference for the Glorious revolution these days has also put some damper on the project because I don't know that I will ever return to collecting more ECW units, but I still do like the rules (may be using the card deck command system instead of the dice mechanic for my BLB games at home) and would like to see them published.