First Posting!

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
peterpimlico

First Posting!

Post by peterpimlico » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:36 pm

Just painted my first 20 ECW figures! And have read through the VQR rules three times. Really when one comes to wargaming for the very first time it is extremely difficult to comprehend and understand the rules of the game. I find that most rules expect the reader to have a certain amount of knowledge! Unfortunately I haven't any basic knowledge, so please bear with me if I ask silly questions.
My eventual play will be mainly solo; played out on a table 30in x 56in. It will be based on a single Royalist regiment of 700 men, horse, foot, dragoon (Sir John Mallory's, steward of Skipton castle) and Col (at that time) John Lambert's headquarters at Bradford, about 1,000 horse and foot. Skirmishing between the two my objective.
If my reckoning is correct I will need about 22 figures to represent the Royalist regiment and 32 the Parliamentary. So, my first question is am I only allowed four officer cards for the game? Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.
Regards ........... Peter
quindia
General
General

Re: First Posting!

Post by quindia » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi, Peter!

Not sure I understand the question - the rules work best with 5-10 UNITS per side. Each unit would be 5-6 horse or maybe 15-20 foot. I don't think VWQ will work very well with only 20-30 models (though we are feverishly working on a set that will be perfect for games that size)...
peterpimlico

Post by peterpimlico » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks for your comment Clarence. It is back to the painting board for me! I shall be especially interested in your new "feverishly worked on" new rules, will they have a ECW flavour and be suitable for small skirmish type battles?
Regards ............ Peter
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:14 pm

The published book will actually be 1660-1760, but I have used the core engine with Warhammer Fantasy models, Dark Age Vikings, Napoleonics, and Colonial Africa... they will work just fine for the ECW, thought the army lists won't initially support that period (the army lists are entirely unnecessary for the game).
peterpimlico

Post by peterpimlico » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks again Clarence for that info. I shall certainly look forward to the book publication, hopefully in the near future!
Regards ......... Peter