Withdraw move/orders

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
itchysama
Private
Private

Withdraw move/orders

Post by itchysama » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:07 pm

Greetings all,
I'm preparing to play Battle of Beacon Hill scenario at local store using VWQ. One of the items of the scenario is if the Parliamentarians cannot break the Royalist before the Royalist reinforcements arrive, they must be able to withdraw and defend their retreat route until nightfall.

Any thought about a "withdraw" move as part of the "Maneuver" order for infantry units?
My thoughts on how to do this are:

1. If formed in line or column to allow the unit to stay with the same facing, but only move 1/4 speed directly backwards in good terrain, or 1 inch if in other terrain or crossing an obstacle.
2. If formed in open order, allow the unit the to stay with the same facing, but move up to 1/2 speed directly backwards in good terrain, 1/4 speed in any other terrain.

Any other "turning" would require the unit to "turn in place", then next order would be to Maneuver again backwards.

Your suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated.
Alan
quindia
General
General

Re: Withdraw move/orders

Post by quindia » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:36 pm

That seems good, Alan, though I don't think I'd allow backward movement in a march column. There probably won't be any columns in the face of the enemy anyway so it is probably a moot point! For game purposes, you may simply want to allow a half move for all units, because a quarter move, one inch, will practically be useless in extricating units for the purpose of your scenario.

Feel free to adjust rules to make your scenario work!
itchysama
Private
Private

Re: Withdraw move/orders

Post by itchysama » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:29 pm

Good points and thanks for the reply.
Will advise on how it goes.