Size of Cavalry units in ULB

Help related to anything in the gaming world
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Size of Cavalry units in ULB

Post by curassier » Wed May 11, 2005 5:50 pm

Barry, you seem to go for six-figure squadrons made up into units of either 12 or 18 men. is there any reason why one should not field the odd 9-figure unit? I just like the look of three bases with the flag in the middle.
Is there anything in the rule mechanics that would suggest this is a bad idea?
Curassier
Jonathan
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed May 11, 2005 7:45 pm

Jonathan I know exactly what you mean and I agree but in terms of the scale of the game it would be a little unrealistic for the following reasons:

1. The figure to man ratio is approx 1:30 which means that a 9 figure unit would equate to 270 men approximately. The average squadron during the period would be somewhere in the range 80 -140 troopers and the squadron was the basic battlefield unit(consisting of a number of smaller troops). In reality our gaming squadrons should actually be between two and five figuresstrong but these numbers are untidy and rather impractical in large scale, multi figure base wargaming :?: .

As an example the English in particular fielded small cavalry units often of no more than 200 troopers in two squadrons. In wargaming terms this can make a 6 figure unit(1 squadron in our currency) actually represent a two squadron English regiment!
:idea: This is where the wargaming unit size comes in. When recreating historical engagements I count one wargaming squadron of 6 as two real squadrons(as this is a more accurate comparison). You only need to have a look at orbats from the big engagments to see that the armies were fielding in some cases nearly 300 squadrons!! Now that is MASSED CAVALRY as makes Napoleonics pale into insignificance.

2. A nine figure wide unit whilst admittedly very visually impressive will be much wider in frontage than is practical and more than the frontage of a fully deployed battalion. You might find manoeuvre a very tricky proposition too!

3. It would make morale calculation difficult using the quick D6 principle employed in the rules and another mechanism would have to be employed(which of course it could)

Sorry for poo-pooing the idea but you did ask. I am very much into the aesthetics of wargaming which I think is quite obvious so I have no reservations on that front. :idea: My suggestion as a compromise is that if smaller scale actions were being fought say using, the adapted 1644 rules then 9 figure squadrons would work very well.

Cheers

Barry :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

cavalry squadrons

Post by curassier » Wed May 11, 2005 10:24 pm

Not quite the answer I wanted......
But I appreciate the reasoning. I'm sure once I have massed sufficient troops for a reasonable-size game it will all become clear. Thanks for the comprehensive reply.
Jonathan