Sweden in the Great Northern War

Help related to anything in the gaming world
Cajun
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sweden in the Great Northern War

Post by Cajun » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:25 am

Hello,

Are there any decent websites (preferably in English) that have units and their uniforms for the Swedish in the Great Northern War? I usually use Osprey books to assist in this, but they do not have one dedicated to Sweden in this period (at least not that I have been able to find) and the one from Acedia press is way too expensive for me right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:31 am

Hi!

I don't know of any sites that have uniform information on the swedes during the GNW, the closest you coluld come was Dan's Northern Wars site which now sadly has closed.

I can really recomend the Acedia Press publications but I agree that they are expensive.

If there are some specific units you are looking for I can help you here, just give me the name of the unit and I'll look it up.
londonjock
Private
Private

Post by londonjock » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:40 pm

You might want to try the Vinkhuijzen collection website, although some of the labelling isn't too clear:

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigi ... s=12&pNum=
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:56 pm

Books might be better CAJUN... there are many of those to recommend!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Cajun
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cajun » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:18 pm

Yeah, I prefer books.

The problem is that most of my uniform books are packed up because I moved back in May, and since I haven't sold my previous house yet, I cannot afford to build my bookshelves so that I can unpack them. And since I haven't sold my house, I can't afford any of the books that are out there right now. So that is why I was looking on the web. :)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:58 pm

aha!

We'll here's another solution... tell us roughly what you are looking for and we'll try and give you the answers!! :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Cajun
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cajun » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:45 am

I suppose I was looking for a few common regiment names and their uniform colors. The problem is that I have nothing to go on, but I have fallen in love with the war and the more I read about it, the more interested I am. Thanks in advance!
Yermolov
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Yermolov » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:49 am

For what it's worth, Mr. Schorr's old website can still be viewed, in part at least, via the Memory -.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www ... rnwars.com
Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Dilly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:05 am

Unless I'm missing something, Dans' website is alive and well, last update was sometime ago, it does however have a 5GB traffic allowance so may close down towrds the end of the month
(url)http://www.northernwars.com/(url)
Wayne A Turner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wayne A Turner » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:13 am

Here is an Order of Battle for Poltava 1709 and the basic uniform details

Infantry

Vastmanlands Regt (2 battalion) ~ Tricorn, blue coat, yellow facings. natural leather vest and breaches and yellow stockings.

Narke Varmlands Regt (2 battalions) ~ Black Karpus hat with red facings, Blue coat, Red facings, natural leather vest and breaches, red stockings.

Jonkopings Regt (2 battalions) ~ Tricorn with white baid, blue coat, red facings. natural leather vest and breaches and red stockings.

Vasterbotten Regt (2 battalions) ~ Blue Karpus hat with white facings and blue and white braid, Blue coat, white facings, white vest and breaches, whitestockings.

Ostgotland Regiment (1 battalion) ~ Tricorn with yellow and blue lace, blue coat, yellow facings. Yellow vest and blue breaches and yellow stockings. Red neckcloth.

Uppland Regt (2 battalions) ~ Tricorn with white braid, blue coat, yellow facings. natural leather vest and breaches and yellow stockings. Blue neckcloth.

Dalcarian (or Dal) Regt (2 battalions) ~ Tricorn (some may have still had Blue Karpus with yellow lining), blue coat, yellow facings. blue vest and natural leather breaches and yellow stockings. Blue neckcloth.

Kalmar Regt (1 battalion) ~ Tricorn with blue and white twisted braid, blue coat, yellow facings. natural leather vest and breaches, and blue stockings.

Skaraborg Regt (1 battalion) ~ Tricorn, blue coat, yellow facings. natural leather vest and breaches and yellow stockings. White neckcloth.

Foot Guards Regt(3 battalions, 1 Grenadier battalion) ~ Tricorn with white braid(?) (Grenadiers had mitre), blue coat, yellow facings and collar. Yellow vest and breaches and yellow stockings.

I hope that helps to start with, let me know if you want Cavalry.

The Swedes are pretty well documented, its the Russians I have huge gaps for.

The above informations comes from Lar-Eric Hogland and Ake Sallas's excellent book "The Great Northern War 1700-1721, Colours and Unifroms". It is available through Bacus

http://www.baccus6mm.com/index.php?cont ... blications
Wayne