Using "Green Stuff"

Help related to anything in the gaming world
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Using "Green Stuff"

Post by 18th Century Guy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:46 pm

Does someone have enough experience with green stuff that they can share what they went through? I'd like to be able to use it but when I tried some the other day it didn't act the way I thought it might. It seemed very stiff. Was I doing something wrong? Are there different green stuffs available? My came from Foundry and I'm not sure if there is a 'best used by' date on it. I did search the site and tried the few links that were found but almost all of them no longer work.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:38 am

I have no great experience with green stuff either but I have picked up a few things along the way.

Yes there is a "best used before" date on green stuff although I don't know how the green stuff becomes once this happends. :?

You have to work with it for some time when you mix the blue and yellow together and in my opinion it is not an easy material to work with, perhaps the stiffnes you experience is just normal. (Wow, that was a weird sentence... :wink: )

Use alot of water when working with it, on the green stuff, your fingers, tools etc, makes it less sticky. I have found it usefull to have some kind of - plastic on the table you are working on.

Not much but I hope it helps!
Yggdrasil
Jack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jack » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:19 am

Although there is a time when it becomes difficult to mix there is no real shelf date that I'm aware of. I'm still using some that I've had for a couple of years. Although I have to cut out the part where the colours join as it has cured too much.
It does cure quickly when mixed and exposed to air.
I've found it best to mix small amounts at a time and maybe use more of the yellow to get a softer stickier mixture. Using water stops it sticking to the tools you are using to shape it but using too much water gets on the minis and stops it adhereing to them as well. It's a balance act.