Rennaissance Rules

Help related to anything in the gaming world
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Rennaissance Rules

Post by pappenheimuk » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:54 pm

Guys,
A few centuries our club used to play quite lot of rennaiassance wargames using Tercio and WRG (George Guss) rules.
Interest is being shown by a couple of boys at the club, I still have my old rules & army list booklets for the above rules, however has anyone either used or heard of a set of rules that are a bit more up to date.
We were thinking of trying to tart up WHAB & WECW but dont think that it would truly capture the flavour of the period.
Any suggestions gents?

:D
David
"Anything but a one and you'l be OK!!!"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:45 am

I agree with your interpretaqtion David. I don't think either of those sets would give the flavour. The crossover line between Late Medieval and Pike-Shot is probably the period you are talking about and the rules would need just too much tweaking. I don't have any suggestions I'm afraid as the Renaissance was never a period I gamed in. LoA did a little bit of Italian Wars but I was only a figure painter/player in that and not the driving force. I don't even remember what rule sets we used in the few games we had :oops:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Bluebear
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Bluebear » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:31 pm

I've never played any Renaissance, but here is a link to a list of Ren Rule Sets . . . perhaps you can find something there that seems right to you (note -- a few are even online sets):

http://theminiaturespage.com/rules/ren/land.html

I hope that this helps some.

-- Jeff
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:00 am

Thank chaps, I'll have a hunt and see what I can get

David
"Anything but a one and you'l be OK!!!"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:32 pm

I have tried Warhammer very successfully for Rennaissance battles where we even ended up with historical results. This was before WECW came out or even Armies of Chivalry which has lists for troop types of the early Rennaissance period. I'm probably biased as I have been using Warhammer for many years, even before WAB came out and have continued to enjoy all the games I have ever played with them. I have even adapted the rules for fighting the Austro-Prussian and Franco-Prussian wars. I was introduced to Warhammer rules many years ago by Aly Morrison and Dave Andrews at some of the display games we put on for WW1 and WW2 and they seemed to work equally well for those periods as well, but admittedly these were all skirmish games. I now stick to Rapid Fire for my WW2 games and can't see me changing, despite Barry trying to get me to try FOW.

Cheers
Dave