How many flags does Infantry in the 17th C. have?

Help related to anything in the gaming world
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

How many flags does Infantry in the 17th C. have?

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Dear Friends,

Can someone tell me how many flags an Infantry unit has carried in the field in the 17th Century?

I can find all kind of flags for my future Saxons, Infantry and Cavalry, but nothing that tells me if they carried only one flag in each Regiment/Batallion or 2 like a white and a colored flag or even more flags?? :shock:

Any help or hint would be appreciated

Thanks

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: How many flags does Infantry in the 17th C. have?

Post by Rob Herrick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:35 pm

Usually 1 per company.

For the Thirty Years War and English Civil War, each company or infantry had a different flag. Some had a standardized system of devices to indicate which company it belonged to. By the end of the century (and well into the 18th century) this persisted. However, some of the flags were "standardized" into the usual white/colored versions.

If I had to guess, I would say they carried AT LEAST one white and one colored flag. Most likely, one white flag for the 1st Company and a colored flag for each remaining company in the regiment.

I wouldn't do more than 4 standard bearers in an 18 figure unit, though.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:11 am

Many armies had one flag per company well into the 18th century. This was the case with the Prussian army in Frederick the Great's time. Cavalry in the Civil War had a standard per standard. Each infantry company had a color. According to Summerfield the Saxon cavalry had one standard per company in the mid-1700s. It is safe to assume this was the case earlier. In 1753 each infantry battalion carried two flags. Not sure when this practice started. Schorr states that in the GNW period the leibcompanie carried a white standard or flag and the other companies carried colored ones, so this indicates that each company had a colour.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:01 am

Thanks for sharing this knowledge :)

It seems that 18th Century Guy had almost the same question in mind :D

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3709

So I like to believe that they carried at least 2 Flags.
One Colonnels-, Kings- or Leibkompanie-Flag and one colored Flag in the color of their Regiments facings.

Only half a question remains:
How have the Leibkompanie-Flags looked like?
I think I saw somewhere a picture of an embroided flag with the same look as the Colored Flag only that it had been made of white cloth.

Yesterday Rick aka Flagdude sent me his knowledge base of the Saxon flags in the GNW and that were quite a lot but there were only colored flags and no picture of a Leibkompanie-Flag.

So, back to square one :roll:

Thanks again Friends

Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Information in one of Dan Schorr's works?
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:47 am

I'll bet I now know why Rick (The Flag Dude) contacted me about the number of flags that Saxon units carried in the GNW!
Greg
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:39 am

18th Century Guy wrote:I'll bet I now know why Rick (The Flag Dude) contacted me about the number of flags that Saxon units carried in the GNW!
:lol:

...and? :wink:

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Dear Friends,

I got all answers I was looking for. The last part has fallen into its place when the master himself, Dan Schorr, told me all I needed to know.

I will do 3 flags, one white Leib- and 2 Colored, for each infantry unit and one standart for the Cavalry.
Rick, the Flagdude, will get an order soon.

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge with me.

Günter