GHQ rules for 15mm figures

Help related to anything in the gaming world
RenevandenAssem
Private First Class
Private First Class

GHQ rules for 15mm figures

Post by RenevandenAssem » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:23 pm

Hi Barry,

Just 3 quick questions about the use of 15mm figures under the GHQ rules.
Does it work straight from the book?

Is it worth investing money in these rules compared to for example Dave Brown's battlegroup panzergrenadier or Flames of war rules ?

Have you made any major chages to the GHQ rules as is?

Of course I have read the accounts in WI about comparing GHQ to Rapid Fire, but since Rapid Fire is no option for me (dont ask it just doesnt click scalewise that 8 figures is a company).

René
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:20 pm

Hi Rene,

this is one of my `pet' subjects!

GHQ Microarmor can be used straight from the book for 15mm. A credible amendment would be to double the movement and fire distances if using 15mm figures but even applying the 1/285th distances and ranges will give a great game. I swear by them!!

I have a few suggested amendments which I'll post soon in the WARCHEST(new section- RULES).

The Flames of War books are visually very attractive, interesting to read (if rather simplistic, comic book and historically inaccurate in my opinion) and no doubt sell lots of product(which I suspect is what they are really designed to do). I have read them but find them unappealing as rules for the following reasons:

1. Too long
2. Too many caveats/special moves/special special counter moves- verging on Fantasy(Warhammer) type situations.
3. Too much cross referencing between core rules & Intelligence briefings(in much the same way as WAB and it's supplements seems to be set out). This slows down play and brings on headaches for me(as does WAB).

I think FOW was written to catch the pubescent gamer moving from Warhammer/40K to historical. For this it must be applauded. The range of models is outstanding and : THEY HAVE GOT ME HOOKED
:lol:

Can't comment on Dave Brown's Panzer Grenadier rules as I've never read 'em but find the General de Brigade Napoleonics(by the same author) just too detailed to give a relaxing game. He does put on very attractive games though!!

Rapid Fire, not for me but I think I've given my reasons before!

BUY GHQ MicroArmor, John Hernandez knows what he's talking about!

cheers

Barry
RenevandenAssem
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RenevandenAssem » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:24 pm

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the input on these rules.
Hopefully I will be able to pick up a copy in Rheindalen later this month.

René