Rules to play The three Musketeers?

Help related to anything in the gaming world
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Rules to play The three Musketeers?

Post by raif » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:07 am

Hi guys,

Do you know good rules to play skirmish/duells in the time of the three musketeers? I know gloire, but are there other rules which i could use and try?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rules to play The three Musketeers?

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:56 am

At the risk of sounding commercially motivated.. Donnybrook is perfect. It says 1660-1760 on the cover but the era of Dumas's Musketeers was less than 12 years before. I have done many musketeer games over the years (it was participation game speciality of LoA at one point in our history). Although at that time Donnybrook did not exist, it would have been a perfect fit.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by raif » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:23 am

barr7430 wrote:At the risk of sounding commercially motivated.. Donnybrook is perfect. It says 1660-1760 on the cover but the era of Dumas's Musketeers was less than 12 years before. I have done many musketeer games over the years (it was participation game speciality of LoA at one point in our history). Although at that time Donnybrook did not exist, it would have been a perfect fit.
But can i use it for duells? Four musketeers vs some of the guards of richelieu? I thought i will need more miniatures for donnybrook?
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:40 am

raif wrote:
barr7430 wrote:At the risk of sounding commercially motivated.. Donnybrook is perfect. It says 1660-1760 on the cover but the era of Dumas's Musketeers was less than 12 years before. I have done many musketeer games over the years (it was participation game speciality of LoA at one point in our history). Although at that time Donnybrook did not exist, it would have been a perfect fit.
But can i use it for duells? Four musketeers vs some of the guards of richelieu? I thought i will need more miniatures for donnybrook?
Clarence had designed a much smaller type game that only used characters instead of small units which would be perfect for what you are after but I'm not sure if he included it in the book? if not I'm sure he could add it as an article to the blog once Donnybrook is out.
Cheers
Dave
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by counterattack71 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi Raif,

I like the sound of a Three Muskateers skirmish game. Can you keep us updated to how it comes along? Also, what figures were you thinking of using?
http://whippedraw.blogspot.com/

"To understand the social processes and conflicts, the interplay between individual and group, even the physicality of human experience, we have the need of small scale models" - Will Self.
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by raif » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:09 pm

counterattack71 wrote:Hi Raif,

I like the sound of a Three Muskateers skirmish game. Can you keep us updated to how it comes along? Also, what figures were you thinking of using?
Sure! I have some swashbuckler from brigade games - http://www.brigadegames.com/Swashbuckle ... _c_34.html. They are really nice miniatures!

And in 42 mm there are three musketeer figures from steve barber.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:07 am

The 'scenario' is in the book... its called The Warband. It is actually another way to play Donnybrook with a handful of models. Technically the minimum size for a force would be one Hero and four Elite guards/followers/henchmen, but Donnybrook encourages you to throw the norm out the window! You can definitely pit four Heroes against mobs of the Cardinal's guards. It will just take some experimenting to determine how many foes you need for the balance.