Two Companies of Musketeers existed:
1st(Grey) Company. 200 men + officers
Uniform ALL scarlet lined scarlet with gold lace and hat trim plus White feathers. Saddle cloth Scarlet with silver trim. Carried MUSKETS not CARBINES.
They wore a tabard of medium blue edged silver(also at the neck -). White cross, red flames in the angles and gold fleur de lys at ends of cross.
2nd (Black) Company All details same except lace andhat trim in silver. In the angles of front cross of tabard - gold fleur de lys not flames.
Company colour refers to horse colour. Trained to fight on foot or mounted.
Source: The French Cavalry 1688-1715 C.A.Sapherson. RAIDER Books 1990
WARGAMING NOTES (B Hilton)
1. I would give them first volley bonus as they carry muskets.
2. They are a unit of the Maison du Roi which should give then Guard status.
3. They should form up in some reserve position as such a prestigious corps would be unlikely to join the battle line.
4. As a wargames unit they could be painted as 1 x squadron of 6 figures with grey horses and 1 x squadron of 6 figures with black horses.
5.Dismounted version 2 bases of 6 figures fighting as guard.
6. I suspect tabards may have been worn on the field but possibly removed in action as they may have been an encumberence.
No distinctive info on officers but I would presume- grander versions of the Musketeers uniforms with or with or without tabards.
I like the sound of them... maybe I'll do them myself!!!