2nd wave

Information related to WARFARE MINIATURES releases, future releases, range development, painting, figure usage, conversions
Riddcowler
Private
Private

Re: 2nd wave

Post by Riddcowler » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:35 pm

I love the look of these figures and am sorting out an order with a mate. However, as I've been given the role of raising forces for the Sun King, I'd just like to check on an earlier post which stated that French troops would be produced separately. Does this mean I should wait to order my French regiments?

Although I have gamed since God was a boy, I admit to being quite new to the uniform detail side of things for this period, as my interests have previously focussed more on historical events. had I not read the earlier post I would have happily purchased these figures as French (and might well still do). I'm not a 'regiment 'x' must have this type of pocket' type of gamer but if there are significant differences then I'd prefer to wait. If waiting is the best option, are there any French regiments I could use the current range for please? Not that I'm desperate to start painting or anything! :)

Thanks.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:35 pm

Well to an extent the 'French' thing for the period is somewhat of a blind.
There are small differences in the basic unifroms of all armies which manifest themselves in ways which are not really worthy of serious anxiety complexes for the gamer, for example:

Some countries had field signs in hats (twigs, paper etc) others did not
Some had cravats tucked in or out
Some had slightly turned down collars others did not
Some had double breasted buttons others not
Some had single horozontal pockets, some had single vertical pockets, some had double vertical pockets some had scalloped pockets, some straight pockets some v shaped pockets etc etc

The main distinction for French regiments were that SOME wore small bunches of ribbons on their shoulders (how long would those last in the rain and mud?) some had different patterns pockets - to try and recreate the number of subtle pocket variances would bankrupt any manufacturer so most don't really bother. French grenadiers (1/10th of a unit) wore the same kind of hats as the men and not the caps worn by many other armies. Often though the grenadiers were brigaded off into seperate grenadier units so this is not a problem.
Remember also, the French employed Irish, German, Swiss, Walloon, Italian, Corisican and various other nationalities as subsidy troops. Not all wore French style clothes.
So, long answer.. but using the current codes for French is not a problem. The French variants we plan to release will be things like:
Gardes Francaises
Some of the Maison Cavalry
Perhaps some infantry with shoulder robbins as a supplementary variant.
Holding your breath for the French is probably not hugely beneficial.

Hope this helps Richard
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:10 pm

Just remember that this is a period where the concept of uniform was for lots of reasons much woollier and more nebulous than it later became so Warfare figures will do nicely for French with the right paint scheme & standards. However if you insist on ribbons I think Northstar dose them separately in the Glory of the Sun range it just got form Copplestone. Though I like Barry do wonder how long such delicate items would survive in the field.

:evil: Ginger
Riddcowler
Private
Private

Post by Riddcowler » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks very much for the prompt replies - genuinely appreciated! As stated I'm not a uniform martinet and the changes you've mentioned simply don't bother me at all. From a couple of illustrations I've seen I'll certainly invest in some Gardes Francais (sp?) when they arrive but until then I'll win without them (anyone who knows me will appreciate the absurdity of this statement! :lol: )!

As said, really looking forward to this project after quite a few years of considering it. Can anyone recommend a reasonable uniform book or website for Louis and his lads? I've found quite a lot of info on the SYW army but info on this earlier period seems much more sparse. Is it because we are much less certain?

Also any guidelines on commercially available flags or info sources to paint my own would be great.

Thanks again for the very friendly and informative response. :)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Richard,

we'll be doing flags very shortly but there are plenty out there if you are desperate right now.. keep tuning in for updates on these particular products.. Clarence Harrison is doing the artwork
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Riddcowler
Private
Private

Post by Riddcowler » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:41 am

Thanks for that...I'll definitely hold fire on the flags then. :)
john_de_courcy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by john_de_courcy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:47 am

Look forward to seeing the flags...

Obviously, I would recommend, putting something together for the Dutch regiment Nassau-Saarbrücken-Ottweiler circa 1690 asap ;)
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:10 pm

The initial flag releases will concentrate on the Boyne/Augrim theater to support other plans we have... :D
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:49 am

French, Flags, Jacobite Sup, different types of pockets :shock:

Do you guys have any spare time to game :?: And are you still married :|

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:44 am

Yes, I actually got in a game last weekend, though not in BLB and yes, we both still have fantastic wives that put up with all of our nonsense... especially now that we can claim to be WORKING!!! :wink:

However, I have asked for a clone for Christmas...
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Well seeing you gents are "working", how about some Newfoundland Fishermen Militia figures :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_Peninsula_Campaign

and

http://chafetree.com/138French_Raids.html

The English communities formed milita's for King William and the French communities support d'Iberville forces. Legend has it he also picked up about 1000 to 5000 Irish volunteers :shock:

I guess the poor old Spanish and Portugese fishermen were dragooned into service by both sides.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons