Lundin Links Weekender Summer 2012

Info and chat about wargaming weekend events arranged by LEAGUE OF AUGSBURG in both England and Scotland
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lundin Links Weekender Summer 2012

Post by barr7430 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:04 pm

Plancenoit was well penetrated by the Preussers. We divided it into 4 zones like a Board game. They then hopped between zones with no need for movement from one to next. The Prussians took 2 from 4 and failed against the Young Guard Tirailleurs in zone 3. zone 4 had the Voltigeurs. The other Young Guard brigade fought hard and took the ruins of La Half Sainte. The Old Guard grumbled up the slope behind them but did not engage as Wellington disengaged covered by 10 cavalry regiments:

7th, 15th Hussars, 13th Light Dragoons, Cumbernauld Hussars :wink: , Bremen and Verden Hussars, 1st ,2nd & 6th Dragoons, 8th Belgian Hussars, 4th Dutch Light Dragoons.

Only 2 brigades pulled out intact: Hanoverian Landwehr and Brunswick Light Brigade together with the Black Watch.

The Foot Guards were fully employed around Hougoumont and dic not appear... yet more stats later....
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:06 pm

Oh, and Marlboro is a Fag! :wink:

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:11 pm

In reply to several email enquiries about the result:

French win... not decisive. They broke 3 squares, made it to the cross roads then beyond but there was enough Allied cavalry to cover an orderly retreat. Lobau's VI were down to 2 battalions from 19 at that point and Prussians reached Frichermont, central battlefield by 7.15pm which meant the French had to turn around and deal with them thus allowing Wellington to get away and face the music in Brussels.

There was no link up with the British/Allies and Plancenoit was still 50% in French hands.

Henry Ford
Malletus Scotorum
Private
Private

Post by Malletus Scotorum » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:00 pm

A fag? Surely some mistake? I read he was a cross dresser with a penchant for Thai ladyboys as servants.
Ian

http://fcailza.blogspot.co.uk/ My occasional blog.

‘A man does good business, when he rids himself of a turd’
King Edward I
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:51 pm

That may well be true but I was referring to the cigarettes :wink:

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:01 pm

barr7430 wrote:In reply to several email enquiries about the result:

French win... not decisive. They broke 3 squares, made it to the cross roads then beyond but there was enough Allied cavalry to cover an orderly retreat. Lobau's VI were down to 2 battalions from 19 at that point and Prussians reached Frichermont, central battlefield by 7.15pm which meant the French had to turn around and deal with them thus allowing Wellington to get away and face the music in Brussels.

There was no link up with the British/Allies and Plancenoit was still 50% in French hands.
Now we just need to wait for an unbiased allied report :wink:
Cheers
Dave
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:09 pm

They did reach the crossroads with a cuirassier regiment and 2 dragoon regiments. Who promptly routed :)

End of the game, the 95th rifles were just forward of the crossroads, a very shakey KGL battalion had rallied right on the crossroads, and the Camerons had rallied on the ridge on the 95th rifles flank.

Still wouldn't have been enough to stop the 2 guard brigades coming down, but 1 of them at least would have been needed to stop the Prussian breakthrough.

Bloodied but not quite broken would be an apt description of the Allied forces on the ridge.

Bill.
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Here's an unbiased French account.

The Comte de Lobau (also known by his nom de guerre of Midge to the Prussians) surveyed the remnants of his wrecked divisions and reflected on the days work. The lads had done well, all things considered. Holding off the Teutonic hordes so long and helping his Majesty's army gain a victory.

There had been glorious moments when the cavalry had swept all before them. Plenty of gritty fighting from the infantry, hanging on with grim determination, right up until that slightly unfortunate moment when the entire line collapsed into one great panic stricken mob. Still more events of high drama (or should that be farce) when a regiment of Chasseurs a Cheval panicked in front of a Prussian infantryman picking his nose and careered back and forth in front of the artillery at just the right times to provide a handy screen for the advancing enemy. Who also could fail to be impressed when an entire brigade of cavalry was ordered by the Emperor himself to proceed post haste to support VI Corps' gallant effort only for their general to read the map the wrong way round and join in the attacks on the main Allied positions instead. Midge also remembered the joy he felt on being informed that the Young Guard were being sent to bolster the defence, only to receive a note from Marshal Soult that the Emperor had eaten some dodgy looking garlic pastries and needed to leave the field to recover, and that Marshal Ney reckoned that two battered infantry brigades and a battery of artillery was more than enough to cope with the Prussian army. They had done their bit (apart from the Chasseurs) and could feel satisfied with their lot.

Yes, Lobau concluded, it had been a great day!
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:42 pm

I would say that is pretty unbaised. The Midge reference arose because Bulow of Prussian IV Corps fame attested that Mr McLauchlin was extremely irritating in the spirit of the famous Scottish midge hence.. Midge McLauchlin......

Mention must surely be made of the Terrible Trio Paterson-Donohoe-Thompson who 'managed' oops I almost typed mangled there :oops: :wink: the central defence pretty well .. although sphincters did twitch on more than one occasion, British sang froid (if that French term is allowed in connection with such Island xenophobes) saw them weather almost every storm with an Eric Idle-esque optimism which caught them subliminally whistling Always look on the bright side of life more than once.
The look on Bill's face when Gerry misjudged the advance of the 2nd Brunswick Hussars was unequivocal! :shock:
Gerry always has a smile though!

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:27 am

barr7430 wrote:I would say that is pretty unbaised. The Midge reference arose because Bulow of Prussian IV Corps fame attested that Mr McLauchlin was extremely irritating in the spirit of the famous Scottish midge hence.. Midge McLauchlin......
Was that 'Big Boy Imrie' beating up on a little French Midge? :lol:
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:14 am

We'll I am certain we were ll envious of the attention Big Boy was getting from Magda :mrgreen:

Midge, Big Boy and von Bulow fought an amiable war at a relaxed pace somewhat in contrast with the Alpha male table of Ney, Wellington et al.

The Emperor was more Sergeant Wilson that Rod Steiger with a distinctly mannerly, calm and polite air. The Kellermann figure of Hugh McErlean waiting patiently for his moment of glory was a salutory lesson in age and wisdom. His subtle but unmistakable smile when he watched the FIGHTING 5th bowl through an RA battery and then destroy Moll's Brunswick battery in the same charge was very nice to see. What a charge!
The BIG Brothers of the 1st Cuirassiers broke the Gordons square too. Nice afternoon's work for old Hugh!
Toggy did the slogging, Hugh grabbed the glory, the Emperor spent a lot of time with Baron Larrey and Haemmorhoidal oinment.

Henry Ford
ColinN
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by ColinN » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:16 pm

PaulMc wrote: Who also could fail to be impressed when an entire brigade of cavalry was ordered by the Emperor himself to proceed post haste to support VI Corps' gallant effort only for their general to read the map the wrong way round and join in the attacks on the main Allied positions instead.
It was worse than that... not only did that brigade of lancers turn up on the wrong board and did nothing but retire from fire, it also wandered in front of our large scratch battery and delayed them pulverising the farm house. Unfortunately there's no rule for blasting your own cavalry (might have been handy for those peripatetic Chasseurs too) or summarily removing their officers (unless I get them into an assault).

Thought Lobau was the hero of the day for the French (along with the 2/107 in Plancenoit) and well, Ney was almost right - a shattered division and a couple of cavalry regiments is all you really needed to hold off the Teutonic hordes! Though obviously with my Napoleon bicorne on I'm happy to take all the credit. :wink:

Hugh's cuirassiers bided their time and were effective in the end - nearly causing the Allies to break.

And Bob stoically assaulted and re-assaulted the farm house even after it had been reduced (if it had been up to us we'd have ignored it!).

I can only apologise to my Marshals for my woeful initiative rolling - won two rounds in two days! But given Napoleon's health during the battle feel free to blame Ney (it's traditional).

Great weekend!
"Colin Kills Kings, Colonels and Commoners... an equal opportunities employer"

http://khakidrab.blogspot.co.uk/
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:30 pm

ColinN wrote:
PaulMc wrote: Who also could fail to be impressed when an entire brigade of cavalry was ordered by the Emperor himself to proceed post haste to support VI Corps' gallant effort only for their general to read the map the wrong way round and join in the attacks on the main Allied positions instead.
At this point the umpire, well known lover of all things allied, was being renamed by the French General Le Toggy, lover of all things Arsenal, Barry Van Persie, just how low can 1 man go .

Another great weekend, absorbing game, with both sides coming within a couple of moves of total victory, a stunning recovery from Mighty Midge when all looked lost enabled the Emperor to push for victory towards Brussells.
Some desperate defence from the Allies & the eventual arrival of David "Big Boy" Imrie's Prussian advance guard snatched outright victory from Napoleon " he's lost the initiative again" Napier, but it was a near run thing!!!!

As ever it was all played in the most convivial & pleasent manner with some great banter, & Colin even won the last initiative throw of the weekend, couldn't get any better.

Here's to Derby & more of the same.

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:54 pm

How did you guys find the updated rules of fighting in BUA?
I wonder how many times Plancenoit changed hands compared to the real battle?

In our Crimean test game I lost a brigade of Zouaves and innumberable officers trying to take a village from a 20 figure unit of Russian sailors. I eventually had to throw in elements from another brigade to take it and Paul lost another brigade of Russian Jagers trying to take it back.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:24 pm

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/gallery ... 9-388.html

first pix from my batch..... quite nice.. those battle weary veterans who attended may recognize a few of the moments

Henry Ford